Obama & Clinton in Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama & Clinton in Unity

Hillary Clinton has joined Barack Obama at a rally - their first public event since she pulled out of the race to be the Democratic presidential candidate.

The rally in Unity, New Hampshire, was an opportunity for supporters of the party to come together after the divisive primary battle.

The event follows a joint dinner in Washington where Mr Obama offered help to clear Mrs Clinton's campaign debts.

Mrs Clinton urged supporters at the Democrat rally to vote for Mr Obama.

"If you think we need a new course, a new agenda, then vote for Barack Obama and you will get the change you need," she told the cheering crowd.

"He will work for you, he will fight for you and he will stand up for you every day in the White House."

After her speech, Mr Obama joined the crowd in chanting "thank you Hillary".

He said the Democrats needed Mrs Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, if they were to win the presidency.

"We need them badly - not just my campaign, but the American people need their service and their vision and their wisdom," Mr Obama said. Although he and Mrs Clinton had started the campaign for the Democrat nomination with different agendas, Mr Obama said they had "made history together".

Debt burden

The BBC's North America editor, Justin Webb, says the get-together in Unity is rich in political symbolism.

As well as the name, it is also the town whose Democrats were evenly split - 107 voted for Obama, 107 for Clinton.

Mr Obama and Mrs Clinton greeted each other with a kiss and a handshake when they caught the flight to New Hampshire on Friday. They also sat next to each other on the plane, the Associated Press reported.

Prior to Thursday's dinner, the two had not met in person since two days after the last primaries.

Latest opinion polls suggest that while Mr Obama has made headway in winning over Mrs Clinton's supporters since she withdrew from the nomination race, one in five of them has indicated they will vote for the Republican candidate, John McCain.

Our correspondent adds that Thursday's fundraising dinner was important for both sides - the Clinton campaign needs an injection of cash to pay off $20m (£10m) debts, but Mr Obama needs the financial muscle of the Clinton money raisers.

Mrs Clinton's advisers have warned Mr Obama that her ability to campaign on his behalf will be limited if she has to spend the summer raising money to pay off her debts.
    Subtle, Mrs. C. Really subtle.

Here's an idea, douchebaggette: How'sa'bout you use some of that fabulous wealth you and your husband have (you know, that personal wealth you used to give your own campaign an injection of cash DURING the campaign) to pay off you own goddamn debt. Talk about a welfare queen...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah, I heard that Obama wrote her a check for $4,900. I don't get that. I hope she doesn't cash it, but something tells me she will.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: Obama & Clinton in Unity

Shaka, when the walls fell.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Re: Re: Obama & Clinton in Unity

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          Shaka, when the walls fell.

Comment

The river Temarc in winter
            "

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Yeah, I heard that Obama wrote her a check for $4,900. I don't get that. I hope she doesn't cash it, but something tells me she will.
              I believe it was for $4,600 -- $2,300 each from he and Michelle. IIRC, that's the maximum amount individuals can contribute.

Comment

Mrs Clinton's advisers have warned Mr Obama that her ability to campaign on his behalf will be limited if she has to spend the summer raising money to pay off her debts.

That's actually pretty ****ing obvious (shouldn't have to tell Obama that).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Bill and Hillary at Jimbo's Paycheck Advance.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                    X