Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at me-just accepted a new job

Starts Tues July 1.

~20 atty firm doing civil lit, mostly medical malpractice and personal injury defense. Fair amount of trial work (which is why they hired me). Solid client base.

full benefits including license fees, dues and education (~1k/yr in texas for me) no retirement however.

hours potentially ungodly (my goal is to hit a 10k bonus at 2400 billables/year), but its literally 2 miles from my apt (which, in houston, is vitally important), but if I'm not going to get that I can hit 150-175/month and remain employed.

Over 20k more (not including meeting bonuses) than my last "real" job, I've been working a contract position here for a while doing fairly well financially, but with no longterm upside other than zero stress and easy money.

The legal market in Houston (and really, everywhere) is terrible for new grads and transplants, so I got extremely lucky. Slumming it with the pd for lit experience has paid off in spades, which was my hope. Apparently any legal job pulls 100+ apps, I interviewed with the AG a couple weeks ago and their prior hire was a 16yr atty willing to take a 48k job. Yikes. Kill me if that's me in 10 years.

I had a final interview with the local DA scheduled for yesterday, but they had to cancel (apparently my "sponsor" tried to squeeze me into a slot that didn't actually exist). Anyway, the DA is terrible in Houston, old one resigned a few months ago due to 1) popping pills 2) racist emails 3) obstruction of justice contempt -deleting emails 4) affair with secretary and giving her a 11k raise, so there is a new boss coming in Nov, so a pretty dysfunctional place to work, and at a salary about 15k less than what I will be getting. This DA was also the Texas Sodomy DA, so really a piece of work. Bullet: Dodged

Thank god. I''m going to get so wasted tonight.

sveet

I'm jealous
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Post in teh drunkithreadi after getting wasted
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

if I don't pass out first, I surely will.

Comment

Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

hours potentially ungodly (my goal is to hit a 10k bonus at 2400 billables/year) ...
          You're gonna die!

Rule of thumb is that you have to work 8 hours to bill 6. Assuming a 2-week vacation, if you bill 2400 hours, that means you'll be working a 64-hour work week.

Comment

Congratulations on getting your new blow job!
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Originally posted by Zkribbler

You're gonna die!

Rule of thumb is that you have to work 8 hours to bill 6. Assuming a 2-week vacation, if you bill 2400 hours, that means you'll be working a 64-hour work week.
              You have to be kidding. Just bill tons of hours, it's easy, and if anyone comes asking questions paralyze them with legalese.

Comment

Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Originally posted by Zkribbler

You're gonna die!

Yeah, its beastly...but there are certain tricks to it obviously.

Open a client letter? takes 30s, we bill in tenths, thus .5minutes of real time=6minutes billed.

These are primarily corporate clients who aren't as...particular with the billing nuances.

Further, I'll be doing a lot of depositions and court work, which rachets the numbers up fast.

my wife will be away on a fellowship from Nov for a few months, so I'll have plenty of time to just work away.

Comment

One trick that used to used around here was a contract-based 3-hour billing for appearances on motions. An attorney would run from courtroom to courtroom, appearing on three different motions, and by 10 a.m. would have billed 9 hours.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Originally posted by Wiglaf

You have to be kidding. Just bill tons of hours, it's easy, and if anyone comes asking questions paralyze them with legalese.
                    Have you never watched The Firm?
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Open a client letter? takes 30s, we bill in tenths, thus .5minutes of real time=6minutes billed.
                      nice
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

Originally posted by Kidicious

nice
                        yep. the glory of billable hours. I suppose we could all have stopwatches to account for every second of our lives, but oh well.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Look at me-just accepted a new job

to account for every second of our lives
                          and then some.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

2,400 billable hours is insane (have you ever tried it?). But good luck nonetheless.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

congrats.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X