My day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day

Today I drove the family 4 hours to Portland and 4 hours back so that my father in law could get his fingerprints taken at the INS (now USCIS since 9/11). They could have been taken right here in my home town but the FBI doesn't trust local cops so they hire and staff an office that just does finger prints all day of people from all over Oregon. Burned $58 in gas in my little 4 cylinder Rav4, the most I ever put in it in one fill. Thank you US gov. Then we did some grocery shopping on the way home and spent $441. We got alot of stuff but still...thats another new record. Stressful trip, I'd have a drinkie if I could afford it.

Hows your day?

Oh, and Rufus if you read this...One of Dolores's friends and her husband bought a townhouse in Washinton DC 2 years ago for $499,000, now worth $300,000. Might be a good time to put in for that DC posting while things are cheap.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

You had a da out. Little drive. Expensive drive.

They've been saying that housing was over-priced in many areas. Throw in foreclosures, it's a buyer's market.

My day was a jumpy as a cat day. They induce labor on my daughter in the morning. They're a lot calmer than I. I'm freaking. F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G O-U-T.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Holy cow Sloww! May God bless your family.

Comment

Re: My day

TP (How TF did that happen???)
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          They could have been taken right here in my home town but the FBI doesn't trust local cops so they hire and staff an office that just does finger prints all day of people from all over Oregon. Burned $58 in gas in my little 4 cylinder Rav4, the most I ever put in it in one fill. Thank you US gov.
          It's all part of Bush's effort to reduce America's gas consumtion.

Originally posted by Sloww
          My day was a jumpy as a cat day. They induce labor on my daughter in the morning. They're a lot calmer than I. I'm freaking. F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G O-U-T.

I hope everything worked out ok.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Grandpa Sloww!!!

let us know how it turned out.

$441?! Costco?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Wal Mart

We shopped for a months worth of stuff.

Thoth, TP? Toilet paper? Top post?

Comment

Triple post

(some mod deleted the DoublePost, but left the third.....posting at 4:30 am produces odd results. )

Comment

....I'd have a drinkie if I could afford it.
                  Longing for those golden days of yesteryear when I was a West Coast rum runner.

Comment

Thoth, I never would have thought of that.

Zkrib, you're welcome to run some rum up here any old time pal.

In fact I've been talking to a pal-O-mine about getting together to head south of the border for a few cases of happy juice. I've been dry now for almost a couple months.

Comment

Only 58 dollars for an 8 hour drive? You lucky bastard!
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yup, a bunch of motorheads from this forum dissed my Rav4 p r e t t y good a couple O years back, but they're crying now, and maybe wishing they had one rather than that macho gas hog SUV.

Still, $58 is $58. Money that would have been much better spent on a trip to Cali to buy rum.

Comment

Oh, and Rufus if you read this...One of Dolores's friends and her husband bought a townhouse in Washinton DC 2 years ago for $499,000, now worth $300,000. Might be a good time to put in for that DC posting while things are cheap.
                          I should have a DC posting in 2010. With any luck, the market will still be bottomed out.

Oh, and sucks about the drive. DHS really is the worst agency, ever.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The folks there were nice enough, but the ride was absurd since they have the same equipment right here in my home town.

Yeah they say the drop will continue for a couple years but if it does...what will drive the economy? This is going to be deep and painful methinks. Those friends of my wife that lost $200,000 and are paying $3,000 a month...sad. The wife was a HS schoolmate of Dolores's in the Phils. I don't know if I were in their shoes what I would do. Maybe use em to walk away from the whole thing. Then again, I would never put my name to a paper that says I have to pay $3000 a month to anyone.

Comment

My experience of DHS is that the folks are indeed nice enough, but their procedures are f*cked. Think about it -- this is the agency responsible for immigration enforcement, patrolling the border, disaster relief, and airport security procedures. I wonder if they actually do anything right?
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X