Good Game Idea = $50,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Game Idea = $50,000

So the MDA of Singapore (Media Development Authority) is offering $50,000 just for a "good game idea". Now, in Singapore, people are unimaginative, and Kiwi's, are known for being overly imaginative. So I have a good chance of getting this money.

But seriously now, I have long wanted to break into the gaming industry. From my knowledge and experience so far, I have learned that the actual development is not the main problem - it is in fact the person who is designing the game, the ideas man, the lead designer. He/she is the one who will craft the game, the difference between a crap game and a good one. Programmers are plenty [insert Asher counter-argument here, then ignore] and artists are fairly plenty too, but Ideas Men are not.

Anyway, people (in Singapore) who apply for this grant, will most likely be submitting boring ideas for mobile phones and web-based flash games. *yawn*.

I will be proposing an MMO, and with strong argument to back it. Now, let's all have a laugh first since we all know $50,000 isn't anywhere near enough to cover the expenses of an MMO. Ok, now that we have had a laugh, let me remind you, the grant is for the IDEA not the creation. Ok now we can continue to the point of my thread:

What do you think would make a good MMO?
    be free

One where you kill yourself.

Comment

AoC covers that already.
      be free

Comment

50,000 wouldn't do him a lot of good. I guess it would someone.

How about one where you put Wiggy in St. Louis with 5 cannibals in New York. Wiggy is racing for San Francisco, the cannibals are racing for Wiggy.

You could use in settings. Put him in Detroit, or Philly, or some other country with obstacles.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That's actually not a bad idea. Consider a game like Civ IV. Good game right? Now, imagine that the next game you start, if you lose or quit some nice man from the government of Singapore would come by your house and cut off...oh say a toe...well that would be a really interesting game.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            50,000 wouldn't do him a lot of good. I guess it would someone.

How about one where you put Wiggy in St. Louis with 5 cannibals in New York. Wiggy is racing for San Francisco, the cannibals are racing for Wiggy.

You could use in settings. Put him in Detroit, or Philly, or some other country with obstacles.
            Well you're not far from an idea I am throwing up in the air.

I want to create an MMO that is based on our current time, with major cities (world wide) towns, villages. In this world you can purchase cars (mounts) and drive from one place to another, or buy flight tickets to travel to further places.

Basically:
            1. You will start off as a young adult, you never know where you start, (you don't get to choose your parents in real life), you take several paths, life of a gangster, work your way through to mafia, triad, etc, work your way up to government level, or just be a freelancer or whatever. High level players will be given the opportunity to take the place of a gang leader, these 'gangs' will act like guilds.

Manage to reach near the top? You can try to run for president, (based on votes), attack other cities, or whatever. It would be great to have a living, ever changing world, a world that is changed based on all the players actions. If you don't want anything to do with the leadership race, you don't have to, you could just be a nobody doing casual stuff, or maybe you happen to be good at assassin jobs, you could be hired by gang leaders or even the government to carry out certain kills.

I'm not sure yet how quests would be inserted into the game.. just throwing up ideas.
            be free

Comment

How about a TBS? We can call it "Humanitas?"

OK, you're right, that's ridiculous.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You could make it like Machiavelli : the MMO...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sorry LS, I know you wanted it badly, but it's just too much for two guys to carry out, but I do plan to flesh it out a bit more and present it as my 2nd idea for a game.
                  be free

Comment

Pong.... in 3D... MMO... 'nuff said

Comment

qft
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Whatever you do, place the most important bits in Chicago and make people find things like the Tower or Piccadilly.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ok, i'm gonna go with that "Real World" MMO.

With all creations, you must start somewhere, which is usually really stupid.

First of all, what I have done is split the world up into 9 "Areas". These are NOT zones. Think of them as either of the two islands in WoW. They are big!

A close up of the Oceania Area:

Each of the coloured zones in this picture are the Zones. Each Zone is quite larger than your usual sized zones in WoW. There are 5 zones in Oceania. There are two main cities, Sydney and Auckland.

Only via main cities can you fly
                          All small cities and main cities have highways connecting them.
                          Some places provide ferries, some places require them (Port Moresby for example).

You can travel by driving, hitching, coach or simply walking (which I imagine would take a long time and could possibly kill you if you were to cross deserts).

I'm going to continue doing the other Areas, then I will break down the Main cities and then the small cities.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how quests are going to work.
                          Last edited by FrostyBoy; June 26, 2008, 04:36.
                          be free

Comment

COUNTRIES (AREAS)
                            North America
                            Mesoamerica
                            South America
                            Africa
                            Europe
                            Mesopotamia
                            Russia
                            Asia
                            Oceania

MAIN LOCATIONS (ZONES)
                            Great Bear Lake, Baffin Island, Alaska, California, Texas, Montana, Illinois, New York, Florida
                            Mexico, San Salvador, Cuba, Jamaica
                            Columbia, Chile, Brazil, Argentina
                            Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Madagascar, Sahara Desert
                            Great Britian, Scandanavia, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Greece
                            Israel, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Iran
                            Siberia, Eastern Russia
                            Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Nepal
                            Hawaii, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, New Zealand, Western Australia, Queensland, New South Wales

MAIN CITIES
                            Toronto, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New York, Washington
                            New Mexico
                            Rio de Janeiro
                            Cape Town, Cairo
                            London, Paris, Berlin, Rome
                            Jerusalem
                            Moscow
                            Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, Kolkata, Hong Kong
                            Auckland, Sydney

SMALL CITIES
                            Vancouver, Ottawa, Goose Bay, Portland, Houston, Denver, St Louis, Boston
                            Kingston, La Habana, New Mexico
                            Santiago, Buenos Aires, Tucuman, Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Cuzco
                            Rabat, Abuja, Antananarivo, Dodoma
                            Athens, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Glasgow, Dublin, Manchester, Oslo, Amsterdam, Vienna, Stockholm, Helsinki, Monaco
                            Ankara, Baghdad, Dubai, Tehran, Lebanon, Yemen, Pakistan
                            St Petersburg
                            Seoul, Kyoto, Taiwan, Xi'an, Kunming, Myanmar, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Philippines
                            Perth, Melbourne, Christchurch, Alice Springs, Darwin, Port Moresby
                            be free

Comment

Er, what's up with your cities list? Some of those are countries, some are states and some of your "main cities" are pretty small compared to your "small" cities.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X