Japanese warship visits Chinese port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese warship visits Chinese port

A sign of considerable progress in the Sino-Japanese thaw. About time, too. Both nations are so crucial to Asian economic development that they really should be getting along better now.

Japan warship begins China visit

A Japanese warship has arrived in southern China for a five-day port call, the first such visit by a Japanese navy ship since World War II.

The Sazanami sailed into port in the city of Zhanjiang seven months after a Chinese warship, the Shenzhen, visited Japan.

The reciprocal port calls were agreed at a meeting last year between senior military figures from the two nations.

This one comes amid improvements in the often tense China-Japan relationship.

Earlier this month, the two sides struck a deal to jointly develop gas fields both claim in the East China Sea, resolving a protracted bilateral dispute.

That agreement followed a visit to Japan in May by Chinese President Hu Jintao, the first by a Chinese leader in a decade.

'Friendship and trust'

Chinese state television showed pictures of the Sazanami, a destroyer, arriving in port.

The Japanese vessel is carrying relief supplies for the victims of last month's Sichuan earthquake.

The crew will hand over 300 blankets, more than 2,500 pre-packaged meals and hygiene masks during their stay.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao rejected the idea that the visit could ignite lingering anti-Japanese sentiment.

The visit would "help enhance the friendship and mutual trust between the two countries", he told a news conference in Beijing.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2008/06/24 10:28:14 GMT

© BBC MMVIII
    Edit: One thing I'm wondering though is whether the Japanese warship was flying just a normal Japanese flag (white sky, red dot) or whether it was flying the Japanese naval flag (same but with red rays radiating from the dot).

The naval flag is very similar to the old Imperial Japanese flag, and it might have caused some tensions. (In much the same way as the Olympic salute was dropped because it was too similar to the Nazi salute.)
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Japan is not supposed to have warships. War there is unconstitutional. It should have been a "self-defense" ship.

Comment

A Japanese warship has arrived in southern China for a five-day port call, the first such visit by a Japanese navy ship since World War II.
      I doubt it was the "first such visit" since WWII, I hope it differed to a very great degree

Edit: One thing I'm wondering though is whether the Japanese warship was flying just a normal Japanese flag (white sky, red dot) or whether it was flying the Japanese naval flag (same but with red rays radiating from the dot).
      The naval jack ensign is still flown by the Japanese Navy (it is the same as WWII), or at least they did in the Arabian Gulf.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Ali, you're a [expletive] too.

You know "friendly" visits between [expletive] isn't necessarily about being friends.
        Last edited by Q Classic; June 24, 2008, 18:08.
        B♭3

Comment

I wish the Chinese were as sensitive to human rights for their people in 2008 as they are to a war that ended in 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
            I wish the Chinese were as sensitive to human rights for their people in 2008 as they are to a war that ended in 1945.
            Given that you're talking about a nation that has never historically undergone the Enlightenment (and the reassertion of democratic and human rights ideals that came with it), you may have to be patient.

And the phenomenon of political hypocrisy, or of current politics seemingly at odds with past conduct, is hardly limited to the Chinese.

But things seem to be getting better, much to the surprise of the older generations in my family.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I just think it's puzzling how we're supposed to be concerned about their sensitivities on past authoritarian aggression given their own current record.

Comment

I hear what you're saying, and from a philosophical viewpoint I definitely think it has merit. But in practice, the two are not directly comparable. International legal norms give governments considerably more leeway in how they govern their own people than it does for external organizations to do the same. This is even more pointed when the external action comes in the form of total war, as the Japanese Empire was committed to waging at the time.

I have no difficulty differentiating between an oppressive nation that rules more harshly than Western democratic norms would allow, versus a nation that invaded another with full military force and used every means at its disposal to kill indigenous military and civilian citizens.

Does China's latterday poor record hurt its claim of being a victim? Certainly.

Does it retroactively vindicate Japan's conduct in the war? Clearly not.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Unfortunately, most Chinese citizens will know nothing about this as press coverage is being heavily restricted.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Japan is not supposed to have warships. War there is unconstitutional. It should have been a "self-defense" ship.
                    That reminded me of this story, about Canada.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Yeah, they were probably throwing out tons of chum.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                      X