The mystery of the "nighttime cold"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    My guess is a pretty simple one: it gets colder at night, usually. More specifically, it gets colder and drier at night. Your lungs work better when it is humid; so when night-time hits and the air cools, it dries out a bit, and so your lungs don't work as well - hence you notice the congestion more.
    See, this is what I used to think when I lived in a 4-season climate, but Singapore is neither cooler nor less humid at night. And while the air conditioning might seem a likely culprit, the fact is that even when I'm in aircon all day, every day, and it still happens.

I'm going with vampire cold.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

There may simply be a diurnal narrowing of the airways during the night as your nasal lining and trachea surface take a break for the evening.

I used to have mild asthma in the UK and the wheeze got more noticeable in the evenings.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
        When the same thing happened to me, my unfounded assumption was that it's really just a result of being up longer
        That makes sense to me. My colds/flu-like thingies do seem to get worse at night too. I suppose it could be psychosomatic...

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

1. Your bed and pillow may be contaminated with allergens
          2. Lying down may affect the blood pressure in your head encouraging inflamtion of nasal and sinus linings causing an increase in congestion.
          3. You may have a load of mucous stashed in various nooks and crannies in your sinuses and nasal passage the flow to post nasal drip when you lie down, giving a 'drowning in mucous' feeling.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

But he was walking around Ikea, not lying down... it wasn't anywhere close to bedtime. He sez the sun goes down and his cold symptoms get worse.

I'll go with the demon idea. More interesting than boring circadian stuff.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
            X