Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Ok, first: no, this doesn't belong in the tech forum. At this point digital music files are so widely used that they no longer constitute tech; they're pop culture. That means lots of folks who never visit the tech forum may well have valuable input on this. So there.

Alright-y, so here's the deal: I'm in the midst of a major tech upgrade that will allow me to leave the 20th century far behind.

Step one, ditching my old Windows-98-running laptop, is complete.

Step two, which will commence shortly, will be ripping my cd collection (500+ discs) to the computer, so I can send the cds to storage while I'm in Kabul.

Step three will be acquiring a portable music player. This is almost certain to be an iPod, not out of any Apple lust (quite the opposite, really) but because the iPod's controls are the only ones I can work comfortably with my meaty paws.

Since I'm going to end up with an iPod, I guess I'll end up being sucked into the iTunes universe. So here's the question: since I'll eventually be sucked into the iTunes universe anyway, should I use iTunes to rip my cd collection? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing so? And if not iTunes, anybody want to suggest an alternative? TIA.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Re: Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
    Step one, ditching my old Windows-98-running laptop, is complete.
    Sorry to hear that.

Since I'm going to end up with an iPod, I guess I'll end up being sucked into the iTunes universe.
    Sorry to hear that, too.

I would advocate just ripping them to cda -- that's what they are, CD Audio format. Keep the copies as close to the original as possible. From there you can duplicate to iTunes, MP3 or anything you want, without burning your bridges behind you.

HDD space is cheap. Ensure the foundational quality of your new library is intact.

[I won't ask whether you are licensed to duplicate your purchases.]
    Last edited by McCrea; June 19, 2008, 06:37.

Comment

Re: Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Since I'm going to end up with an iPod, I guess I'll end up being sucked into the iTunes universe. So here's the question: since I'll eventually be sucked into the iTunes universe anyway, should I use iTunes to rip my cd collection? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing so? And if not iTunes, anybody want to suggest an alternative? TIA.
      Dont let Jobs-almighty control your life! Dont cross that line! There must be another player that will suit your needs! Look harder!
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You're probably better ripping them to MP3... cda would be a bit of a storage issue, i'd guess, if you have a large library.

That said, you can use iTunes to rip them to MP3 and automatically have them included in your iTunes library (though its not particularly difficult to include them manually, of course); but it's just as good a tool as anything.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

HB Rufus
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Not sure how good iTunes is. General consensus is that EAC is the best ripper there is, but its a bit tricky to set up initially. Other good choices are CDex and dBpowerAMP. Both EAC and CDEX are open source. dBpowerAMP is 24$, but its also a great converter (if you need to convert your FLAC files into MP3, for example). That said, iTunes will probably be good enough for your needs.

Since ripping and tagging 500 CD's is quite long and time-consuming, the ideal approach would be to rip your music in a lossless format with EAC and tag them properly. Lossless is a form of compression where you keep the exact same sound quality as the original CD. That way you'll never have to do it again. Its done once and for all. After that, you convert them all in a format better suited for your iPod (MP3 LAME@ 192Kbps, for example) with dBpowerAMP.

Suppose you return to America and decide you want to get yourself an amazing sound system. Suppose moreover that you're finished with CD's: you just just want to play your MP3's on it. Unfortunately, even though they sounded great on you're iPod, you rapidly find out that they don't sound very good anymore on the high-fi. Its a good thing you have your lossless archive at hand. You won't have to re-rip and re-tag all your CD's.

Or suppose you lose all your CD's in fire or whatever. You'll still have all of them on your lossless archive. You could even burn them all on CD and they'll sound as good as the original.

I suppose you could do all this with iTunes. But you'll have to use AppleLossless, which is proprietary. But I believe you can batch convert Applelossless files with dBpowerAMP.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              You're probably better ripping them to MP3... cda would be a bit of a storage issue, i'd guess, if you have a large library.

That said, you can use iTunes to rip them to MP3 and automatically have them included in your iTunes library (though its not particularly difficult to include them manually, of course); but it's just as good a tool as anything.
              I don't see why he'd rip to MP3 when he can rip to AAC in iTunes, which is higher quality.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Originally posted by McCrea

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that, too.

I would advocate just ripping them to cda -- that's what they are, CD Audio format. Keep the copies as close to the original as possible. From there you can duplicate to iTunes, MP3 or anything you want, without burning your bridges behind you.

HDD space is cheap. Ensure the foundational quality of your new library is intact.

[I won't ask whether you are licensed to duplicate your purchases.]
                That's silly. Better use a lossless format.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I downloaded the new Coldplay album (yeah, I know) in FLAC and it's jittery to all ****. I just deleted the thing.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Nostromo: when we talk about a "lossless format," what's an example? I'm not sure what those formats are actually called. (Oh and BTW, I'm unlikely to give up on CDs; I'm a jazz fan, and the liner notes, especially the personnel lists, are too important. But I do take your point.)

Asher Mr. Snuggles: Is "AAC in iTunes" the same thing as AppleLossLess?

Thanks again!
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

AAC is a lossy format and Apple lossless ain't.

FLAC, Apple Lossless and WMA Lossless are examples of lossless formats.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of classical and jazz fans feel that tags are not flexible enough. There are workarounds, though. Take, for example Money Jungle by Ellington, Mingus and Roach. Here's how I tagged it:

- Artist: Duke Ellington (I should probably ad Mingus and Roach or, alternatively, put "with Mingus on bass and Roach on drums" in the comments tag)

- Album: Money Jungle

- And I could always copy the liner notes in the"lyrics" tag. There's a plugin on the Squeezebox (the device I use to play my music on my stereo) that allows you to display the lyrics while it plays a song. So you could in principle read the liner notes while listening to the music.) But unless you can find the liner notes on the net, that would be a pain in the ass.

For classical music, I use the album field for the work. For example:

- Artist: Fauré, Gabriel
                      - Album: Quatuor à cordes en mi mineur, Op.121 (Ad Libitum Quartet)
                      - Title of track 1: 1. Allegro moderato
                      - Title of track 2: 2. Andante

If I was more anal, I'd put "Ad Libitum Quartet" in "artist" and "Fauré" in "composer". But it wasn't practical.
                      Last edited by Nostromo; June 19, 2008, 21:04.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Nostromo: when we talk about a "lossless format," what's an example? I'm not sure what those formats are actually called. (Oh and BTW, I'm unlikely to give up on CDs; I'm a jazz fan, and the liner notes, especially the personnel lists, are too important. But I do take your point.)

Asher Mr. Snuggles: Is "AAC in iTunes" the same thing as AppleLossLess?

Thanks again!
                        AAC is lossy, Apple lossless is a different format altogether.

Either/or WMA/AAC are better quality than MP3. But MP3 is more pervasive...how you plan to use the music should dictate what you encode in. Every device I'd care for supports AAC, so I rip my CDs in AAC (m4a file extensions).

Comment

Skip the Ipod and get a second generation Zune. Does more and costs less.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Ok, first: no, this doesn't belong in the tech forum.
                            TECH FORUM BENDING OVER AND TAKING IT HARDER THAN EVER

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Give Rufus Digital Music Advice

Originally posted by Nostromo

That's silly. Better use a lossless format.
                              I see that I was wrong, CDA is not a pertinent aspect to consider, it's just the directory info, not the audio data. Sorry there. I was certainly advocating losslessness though. At least I got the thread going.

I'd have to argue with snoopy and not to worry at all about storage space. 500 CD's worth at least $5000 are clearly a worthy investment. Even if we estimated no compression to be 70 Megs per CD, that's 35 Gigs, a pittance. ($50 ~ 200 GB Ultra ATA).

Comment

Working...
                              X