Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh we just gotta bust this guy out of jail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh we just gotta bust this guy out of jail!

Spain and SA 'backed coup plot'

Spain and South Africa both "gave the green light" for a failed coup in oil-rich Equatorial Guinea, a British mercenary has told a court in Malabo.

Simon Mann said it felt as though the coup attempt was an official operation.

He also said that Sir Mark Thatcher, son of UK former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, was one of the plot's organisers.

But Mann said London-based millionaire Eli Calil was "the boss". He and Sir Mark have both denied plotting a coup.

Sir Mark was fined in 2005 and received a suspended sentence in South Africa for unknowingly helping to finance it.

But former SAS officer Mr Mann, 55, said Sir Mark was part of the "management team... not just an investor".

He was speaking on the second day of his trial, in which Equatorial Guinea prosecutors have called for him to serve 30 years in jail.

Election rush

If the plot had been successful, veteran Equatorial Guinea opposition leader Severo Moto, then based in Spain, would have become the new president, Mann told the court.

He said Sir Mark had agreed to send a helicopter to transport Mr Moto to the region. Sir Mark has said he believed the helicopter was to be used as an air ambulance.

Mann said the plot was rushed through before the 2004 general elections in Spain, in case the government of Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar was defeated, Reuters news agency reported.

A Spanish foreign ministry official has denied any involvement.

Mr Mann was arrested four years ago with 64 others in Zimbabwe when they landed in a plane from South Africa.

He served four years in prison there for trying to purchase weapons without a licence before being extradited to Equatorial Guinea earlier this year.

Mann and Sir Mark were neighbours in Cape Town.

The prosecution said they had agreed not to call for the death penalty as part of the deal to extradite him.

The trial is being held at a conference centre in the capital, Malabo, and began amid heavy security.

Journalists were allowed into the courtroom but made to leave mobile phones, cameras and even pens and notepads outside. News reports said that a verdict was expected by Thursday.

Eleven other men, including South African arms dealer Nick Du Toit, who testified that he was recruited by Mr Mann, are already serving sentences in Equatorial Guinea in connection with the coup attempt.

Equatorial Guinea, an oil-rich former Spanish colony, has been ruled by President Teodoro Obiang since he seized power from his uncle in 1979.

His government has been accused of widespread human rights abuses and of ruthlessly suppressing political opposition.

Transparency International has put the tiny nation on its list of top 10 corrupt states.
    Because of its oil riches, Equatorial Guinea has one of the higher per-capita incomes in Africa. But the citizens are mired in poverty because their despot is stealing the country blind.

That's what despot's do.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And Simon Mann was trying to kick him out.

(I only hope the coup backers were not a bad as Obiang.)

BTW: Equatorial Guiana was the country which inspired the 1970's thriller The Dogs of War, in which foreign mercinaries lauch a coup to depose a corrupt despot.

Comment

Despotism is the pits. I usually try to get to Republic as fast as I can.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          Despotism is the pits. I usually try to get to Republic as fast as I can.
          Okay then. Everyone hear that? No coup attempts against Lancer.

Comment

Ooops... too late .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Heard this before, what was the new news part of this?

Possible involvement of Spanish/SA governments?

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
                Heard this before, what was the new news part of this?

Possible involvement of Spanish/SA governments?
                Precisely.

Although it may be news to people in the U.S. It doesn't involve either our Presidential race or the flooding of our Midwest, so this story hasn't made the news over here.

Comment

Nor will it. Around here zombie turtle lovers will trump about anything... 'cept severe thunderstorms and gas prices
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Nobody gives two ****s about Africa save Bono the Boneheaded Bog-Gypsy and his ilk.

Comment

Lets talk more about zombie turtle lovers! Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

you asked for it

Monkey!!!

Comment

I just noticed that was in Portland! Lancer, isn't that your neck of the woods?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

That's about 4 hours from my neck of the woods. Yup, the unnual Portland 'Dress up as a zombie and declare your love for turtles' festival. Oregon in a nutshell.

Comment

Working...
                            X