Well, Damnit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Damnit.

Some of you I've talked to about this on AIM, some of you not. When I got out of the Navy I ended up moving renting a condo a buddy of mine who was deployed to Afghanistan owned. I was probably there for about 3 months and my folks got a divorce. I'd like to say it was a surprise, but it wasn't. My mother was perhaps the only person surprised at this turn of events and since she was a mighty GS-8 she was going to have trouble making ends meet while the divorce was settled. Basically, since I had a pretty good job at HQDA, I'd agreed to move in and pay her "rent" to help her meet her bills.

Well, a couple of months pass and I find out that she got a big promotion at work at some point, and my Dad was in fact paying all the big bills(house payment, brother's college tuition) and she was concealing this from me. I got pissed and moved out within two weeks.

To add to all of this my brother got in trouble with the law. Like, "Drunk and disorderly then mouthed off the sergeant" trouble. I ended up picking him up and as a way of giving thanks he tore off the starboard plastic undercarriage of my vehicle between the two wheels(apparently because I didn't argue with the cops or try to break him out). Since then I haven't really spoken to him, except once this past Christmas break where he corrupted his OS after downloading God knows how many pirated videos and I loaded Ubuntu on his laptop as a quicky replacement(My Dad being disinclined to buy him a new laptop with only one semester left of college, so he talked me into it.)

Well, my brother graduated from college this year and has been living with my Dad and his wife(I bet you can guess what the catalyst was for the divorce...). Apparently he not only is jobless, but has not been looking for jobs, and has been running up (my Dads)credit card debt on booze and Charles Town Races and Slots, as well as disobeying the rules about being "discreet" with his girlfriend in my Father's house. Basically it ended up with my brother screeching about him being a "Catholic"(Dad converted to Catholicism to...it's a whole thing) and Dad telling him to leave the house for 24hrs and cool down.

All in all, a productive Father's day. I can't imagine why I avoid family gatherings.

Well, Brother runs to Mother's house who tells her a story with some omissions, but that's okay, as at this juncture she's inclined to believe anything in regards to my father. She called me, I disagreed with her assessment, we had a fight(I happened to be in complete agreement with Dad over this), and now I've basically decided not to answer her calls because, frankly, I've pretty damn tired of it.

Of course, I use my phone as my alarm clock so I face a conundrum if I want to kick the volume down, hmmm....

Basically, I just needed to vent. I'm seriously considering getting a job overseas at this point.
    Last edited by Lonestar; June 16, 2008, 19:40.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

I feel with you. With family, everything good is better and everything bad is worse.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Summary?

Mr Snuggles not best readerz
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Divorce your family. Pronto.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles
          Summary?

Mr Snuggles not best readerz
          Mother's an ass.
          Brother's an ass.
          Father is, while not perfect, the better of them.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            Divorce your family. Pronto.
            Thought has crossed my mind. As I sit here typing this, I'm looking at (Government)job listings in Texas, The Carolinas, Cali, South Korea, The Middle East...basically far away.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

Thought has crossed my mind. As I sit here typing this, I'm looking at (Government)job listings in Texas, The Carolinas, Cali, South Korea, The Middle East...basically far away.
              South Korea has cool toys I hear.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Maybe they all need more hugs!

2nd South Korea.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Can't speak to any of your familial problems, but this is the greatest alarm clock ever! I have one and will kill anyone who dares steal it from me.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Dude, that sucks.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Well, Damnit.

Basically, I just needed to vent. I'm seriously considering getting a job overseas at this point.
                        Well, I'm glad all is going well for you.
                        Are you sure you're not adopted?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I moved overseas 8 years ago, and haven't been back much since. I see family members once every couple of years. My relations with my family have never been better.

I believe my wife would say the same about her and her family.

And, ironically, my daughter is much closer to us that either of us were to our parents. She's actually getting teary-eyed about going off to college, whereas we couldn't wait to get the hell out of our respective houses.

Distance can be a beautiful thing.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

My relationship with my mom improved massively when I went away to college.

Comment

Yeah, it seems like it's the other ones screwing up. Your bro needs to get his own place, I mean he has a wife too? That kind of crap will tear things apart, they need to move and do it on their own initiative. This way, lots of future fighting averted plus people start liking each other again.

Also, don't let others force you to position yourself and take sides. Just show power and refuse to be positioned. You might position yourself and let your opinion known, but don't let others define you that you are with them or against them. This way you don't get into the middle of it and can change stance when ever you feel like.

I hope things coold down, but your brother needs to seriously reconsider his ways man, it sounds like he is making some stupid decisions. Also, remember that this whole divorce thing might be really bothering him too.

I hope you can get some rest and deal with this stuff better, maybe you could distance yourself a bit, to avoid fights for a while, and just.. focus on the more positive things, if possible. But these things sucks, I hope you're doing better soon.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X