Iowa and Floods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa and Floods

Man, we really do not need anymore rain in eastern Iowa!

Flooding is reaching record highs in some areas of Iowa -- the town, Cedar Rapids has been especially devastated by their flooding -- about 100 blocks of downtown is completely inundated with water and about 10,000 people there have been dislocated.

Here, where I live (Quad Cities on Illinois side) we got TONS of rain last night and the wind was unbelievable -- about 70 mph wind last night. There was a tornado watch as well - I can't say for certain if it turned into a warning at any point as I was in bed by 11:00 PM. Here, we got about four inches of rain. Below is the article about Cedar Rapids.

Oh, and I'm fairly confident that my thread title meets the standards of honesty and accuracy as required by the Asher & DinoDoc Oversight Committee on Thread Title Integrity.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa Experiences Historic Flood

By AMY LORENTZEN, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 50 minutes ago

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Hospital patients in wheelchairs and on stretchers were evacuated in the middle of the night as the biggest flood Cedar Rapids has ever seen swamped more than 400 blocks Friday and all but cut off the supply of clean drinking water in the city of 120,000.

As many as 10,000 townspeople driven from their homes by the rain-swollen Cedar River took shelter at schools and hotels or moved in with relatives.

About 100 miles to the west, the Des Moines River threatened to spill over the levees into downtown Des Moines, prompting officials in Iowa's biggest city to urge people in low-lying areas to clear out by Friday evening. The river was expected to crest a couple of hours later.

"We are perilously close to topping the levees," said Bill Stowe, public works director in the Iowa capital, population 190,000. He added: "It's time to step out of harm's way."

The flooding was blamed for at least two deaths in Iowa: a driver was killed in an accident on a road under water, and a farmer who went out to check his property was swept away.

Since June 6, Iowa has gotten at least 8 inches of rain. That came after a wet spring that left the ground saturated. As of Friday, nine rivers were at or above historic flood levels. More thunderstorms are possible in the Cedar Rapids area over the weekend, but next week is expected to be sunny and dry.

In Cedar Rapids, the engorged river flowed freely through downtown. At least 438 city blocks were under water, and in some neighborhoods the water was 8 feet high. Hundreds of cars were submerged, with only their antennas poking up through the water. Plastic toys bobbed in front of homes.

For decades, Cedar Rapids escaped any major, widespread flooding, even during the Midwest deluge of 1993, and many people had grown confident that rising water would pose no danger to their city. The flood this time didn't just break records; it shattered them.

The Cedar River was expected to crest Friday night at nearly 32 feet, an astonishing 12 feet higher than the old record, set in 1929.

Flooding left 2 inches of water in the emergency room at Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids on Thursday night, and water spilling into the lower levels threatened to knock out the hospital's emergency generator.

A total of 176 patients — some of them frail, about 30 of them from a nursing home at the medical center — were moved to other hospitals in an all-night operation that was not completed until daybreak.

"Those poor people. They looked half-terrified and half-thankful that they had someplace to go where they could finally rest and be cared for," said Sonya Thornton, a technician at St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids, where many of the patients were taken. She was called into work at 2 a.m. to help with the evacuation.

Gov. Chet Culver declared 83 of the state's 99 counties disaster areas, a designation that helps speed aid and opens the way for loans and grants. The damage in Cedar Rapids alone was a preliminary $737 million, Fire Department spokesman Dave Koch said.

The drenching has also severely damaged the corn crop in America's No. 1 corn state and other parts of the Midwest at a time when corn prices are soaring. But officials said it was too soon to put a price tag on the damage.

At Cedar Rapids' Prairie High School, where 150 evacuees waited, people could be seen crying in the cafeteria while others watched flood coverage on TVs set up in the gym. Tables were lined with shampoo, toothpaste, contact lens solution and other items, and piles of clothes were separated by size.

At the school, Lisa Armstrong wept as she watched TV news footage of her own rescue. She saw herself climbing into a boat, and watched rescuers trying to coax her dog out of the house. They finally grabbed the animal and pulled it out.

"I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was, and we should have got out when we were told to leave," she said. "I didn't think or imagine anything like that."

The shelter was the third stop for Don Webster and his family, after his mother-in-law's house and then a stepson's place. Holding his 4-year-old grandson, Leroy, he said he planned to stay for a few days, then "just pray and hope there's something when you go back."

Cedar Rapids warned people to conserve drinking water after the floodwaters knocked out electricity to all but one of the city's half-dozen or more wells. The one working well was protected by sandbags and generators that were pumping water away from it.

"If we lost that one we would be in serious trouble," Koch said. "We really need to reduce the amount of water we are using, even using paper plates, hand sanitizer."

Hotels implored guests to use water only for drinking.

The city's newspaper, The Gazette, continued to cover the story with the help of emergency generators. But the floodwaters were just outside the front door, and the place had no running water. Portable bathrooms were set up outside for the staff.

"We're putting the paper out through heroic, historic effort by the staff companywide," said Steve Buttry, who started as editor of the newspaper on Tuesday — just one day before the disaster struck.

In Des Moines, fire officials had no immediate estimate of the number of people urged to evacuate several blocks close to the river. Mayor Frank Cownie said the evacuations were an attempt to "err on the side of citizens and residents."

Interstate 80 was closed east of Iowa City to Davenport after the Cedar River washed over the highway. Amtrak service aboard the California Zephyr was suspended between Omaha, Neb., and Chicago because of flooded-out tracks.

Violent thunderstorms Thursday and Friday brought widespread flooding to Michigan's Lower Peninsula that authorities say left some roads and bridges unstable or impassable, blew roofs off buildings and downed trees and power lines.

Weary residents in waterlogged southern Wisconsin began cleaning up Friday from a new spate of storms the night before, including nine reported tornadoes and some flash floods.

People in several northern Missouri communities, meanwhile, were piling up sandbags to prepare for flooding in the Missouri River, expected to crest over the weekend, and a more significant rise in the Mississippi River expected Wednesday
    Last edited by MrFun; June 13, 2008, 21:38.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Re: Iowa and Floods

Originally posted by MrFun

Here, where I live (Quad Cities on Illinois side) we got TONS of rain last night and the wind was unbelievable -- about 70 mph wind last night. There was a tornado watch as well - I can't say for certain if it turned into a warning at any point as I was in bed by 11:00 PM. Here, we got about four inches of rain. Below is the article about Cedar Rapids.
    Was this the storm that just went through here ~5 hours ago. That thing was nasty.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Re: Re: Iowa and Floods

Originally posted by Will

Was this the storm that just went through here ~5 hours ago. That thing was nasty.
      Consider it to be my gift.

Comment

there is a storm going through here and i think the power is about to go out! it's so powerul! i'm going to go outside and watch.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Consider it to be my gift.
          I could hardly see out the window and I could hardly have conversation over the thunder.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will

I could hardly see out the window and I could hardly have conversation over the thunder.

Always pleased to provide my service.

Comment

Somehow I missed this thread. Yes, Iowa is getting their ass kicked. I hope your people are safe.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, with 60+ counties declared disaster areas in Iowa, there have been a few deaths (three or four, I believe). But it seems like most people are taking evacuations orders/voluntary evacuation seriously, in their local areas.

Also, part of I-80 has been underwater. This has created havoc with trucking of goods and supplies for countless businesses in eastern half of Iowa. And of course, this affects passengers in their own vehicles, who now have to take much longer, round-about routes to their destination. All this until I-80 reemerges from the water, and then after it's cleaned up, and declared safe to use again.

Comment

I take it FEMA's doing a great job saving the whiteys?
                  "

Comment

Cedar Rapids, newly twinned with New Orleans...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Take care Mr. Fun
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

We're getting it in Janesville too.

The downtown river wall will probably be compromised today sometime. The road I take to my kids daycare is under by almost a foot.

Worst flooding of the Rock River ever recorded (dating back to 1911) breaking the old record of 13.05 feet back in 1916 with an expected crest of 14.5 on Wednesday, 5.5 feet (about a meter and a half) above flood stage.

JANESVILLE — Rock County officials distributed more than 120,000 sandbags Saturday as residents prepare for the Rock River to crest. The National Weather Service projects the river will crest on Wednesday at 14.5 feet in Afton. That is 5.5 feet above flood stage.

Two county public works crews left at 3 a.m. Saturday for La Crescent, Minn., to pick up 60,000 empty sandbags from the Army Corps of Engineers, County Administrator Phil Boutwell said.

With flooding shutting down portions of the Interstate system in the state, the crews had to journey via the back roads of western Wisconsin to retrieve the supplies that are in great demand throughout the Midwest, Boutwell said.

“We had to go outside the normal channels,” he said.

Lab Safety Supply in Janesville also donated 8,700 sandbags in the last two days, he said.

In Jefferson County, the National Guard arrived to help manage the county’s response to widespread flooding. Flooding there has affected up to 1,000 homes across the county.

Janesville

About 200 Alliant Energy customers in the Janesville area are without electric or gas service indefinitely because of the flooding, Alliant spokesman Scott Reigstad said. Many of the customers are downtown along the river, while others are along River Road and near Lake Koshkonong.

The city and Alliant also were working Saturday night to shut off service on Main Street between Centerway and Court Street, Reigstad said.

City Manager Steve Sheiffer declared a flood emergency, and the city council will meet in a special meeting at 2 p.m. today to approve the declaration.

The proclamation also begins the process of having the area declared a disaster area by Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle and President George Bush. The disaster declaration makes governmental entities and property owners eligible for benefits.

One area of concern is the Mole & Sadler’s subdivision, where more than 40 residents have been evacuated. City officials will hold a neighborhood meeting for the subdivision residents at 9:30 a.m. today at the corner of Elgin Avenue and Charles Street to discuss their options.

The list of road closures across the county continues to grow. The roundup includes on and off ramps at Memorial and Parker drives in Janesville. Officials anticipate closing Parker Drive as the water rises.

Rock County sheriff’s deputies “strongly recommended” residents in low-lying areas along the river evacuate on Saturday.

Four people had checked into the shelter at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 302 N. Parker Drive, Janesville. Two to five other displaced handicapped residents were expected to be put in hotels, said Rosie Gaulke of the South Central Wisconsin Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Beloit Township

An Emergency Operations Center has been set up at the Town of Beloit Fire Department, 2445 S. Afton Road, Beloit, until Monday, June 23.

Citizens and volunteers can call the center at (608) 364-2996.

High water and hazardous conditions have forced officials to close access roads leading to the Burwood Park and Glenwood subdivision areas. The roads will be open to local residents only and the town of Beloit police will ticket all others.

Filled sandbags are available at the town hall, 2871 S. Afton Road, on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sand and bags will be provided at Armstrong Eddy Park on Riverside Drive for residents to fill and use.

Town Chairman Greg Groves also declared a state of emergency until noon Monday, June 23, for the area between Afton Road and Riverside Drive.
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Stay safe !
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Badfuzzy
                            I take it FEMA's doing a great job saving the whiteys?
                            I didn't realize you hate white people.

But on a serious note - there is something peculiar that happened in either Cedar Rapids or Des Moines (cannot remember off-hand now, which one). What happened was that the part of a levee that was meant to protect a lower class/working class area of the town broke through.

The possibility of class discrimination comes from the fact that several years ago, the state government had known that this part of the levee was at risk of breaking in a serious flood, but the funds to strengthen it never came through. Now, my opinion is uncertain at this point; I don't know if this neglect really was due to class discrimination or if the funds never came through for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              Take care Mr. Fun
                              Oh, I've been dry and safe for the entire flood on eastern side of Mississippi River (Illinois) at my friend's house, where I live. The downtown areas though here have parts that were underwater and streets in those affected areas had been barricaded off.

Comment

Working...
                              X