Help C0ckney Decide Where He Lives Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help C0ckney Decide Where He Lives Next Year

it's time for me to stop pretending to be a student and get out of my cheap and cheerful house in the centre of town. it was ok living with students again, but a bit of a letdown in all honesty, for a number of reasons.

i'm planning to move into a much nicer house in a slightly nicer area, but i have dilemma over where exactly to go and who to move in with. my options in brief:

option 1: move in september into a house in the uplands with my mate simon, his bird and another friend. this would be my preferred option as i get on with them all really well and it would be a right laugh.

however, there are a few drawbacks. firstly, the date is rather uncertain (sometime in september - i would like to be out by july) and my friends are notorious procrastinators, so september could easily slip, which could make things difficult for me. secondly, the house isn't sorted, and i know from experience that it's much easier to sort a house in june than in september. thirdly, as well as being a good friend, simon is my dealer. this might seem like an ideal situation , but i fear it would result in me just sitting on the sofa a lot and neglecting other things. he says that he's going to stop selling once he moves house, but i remain to be convinced.

option 2: move at the end of the month into a 2 bedroom house/flat in brynmill/uplands/mumbles/sketty with my friend sam. she is a nice girl, a few years younger than me, we get on pretty well and i think it would be fun to live with her. she is also up for moving pretty soon.

again though there are drawbacks. she is nuts, a proper head case at times, i'm sure i can handle her, but still. she's not very bright, which sound a bit harsh, but if the last few years have taught me anything, it's the importance of living with people who are on the same intellectual level as you. i completely dread living with someone with whom i can't have an intelligent conversation, although i don’t think sam is one of those. she is also, to put it nicely, a bit like sunday morning, and by that i of course mean easy! i'm not looking forward to the endless stream of boys she'll bring home (and particularly how unfavourably it will, especially these days , compare with the number of girls i'll bring home). on plus side at least it means that i'll have someone to take out my animal instincts on and sam on tap for a year wouldn't be the worst fate in the world.

option 3: move into a house with strangers in brynmill/uplands. i did this when i first moved back to swansea and it wasn't great to be fair. however this time, i will have a lot more control over where i live and a chance to meet the people properly before i move in. it would nice to meet a few new people and hopefully hit it off with them. also i can pick the location and features of the house i will live in, within reason of course.

the drawback is it’s a step into the unknown. people who are nice as pie the first time you meet them, can quickly turn out to be boors, or tw@ts, or boring tw@ts. i’d hate to sign a year long contract and then find out i had nothing in common with any of my housemates (which is pretty much what happened two years ago).

so what do our experts at poly think?
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Move to Montreal and have a huge flat all to yourself
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Move to Atlanta with Pekka and be his roommate (flatmate in your case).

Comment

Pics of Sam to help us decide?
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Thread is useless without pics!
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd probably go with option 2. Pics would help decide, however. What are Sam's friends like?

The dealer in option 1 will probably bring home more guys than Sam in option 2.

Option 3 has higher risk.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And I assume that not having roommates/flatmates isn't an option in the London area, unless you're filthy rich that is. God I hate the roommate lottery. As for option 2, in an ideal world, you shouldn't live with the girl you're ****ing/dating. Buffer zones for the win! Personally, I would advise against option 2. She could become a huge pain in the arse...
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Option 3: Sounds like you don't have enough friends if you only have 2 other options, so make some more! Also, one would hope you are smart enough to have learned from your previous mistakes and know what to look out for.

Also, worse than strangers turning out to be boors, or tw@ts, or boring tw@ts - is the same happening to people you think are your friends! Also, thinking with your dick is a very bad idea when choosing flatmates.

BTW, the one thing you did get right is wanting to live in Uplands...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

You could live in a Poly House with PH, Dauphin, Cort, etc.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

He'd have to move to London then...

Comment

I don't live in London, I only work there.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

*Dauphin keeps banging his my-suburban-edge-of-London-paradise-Isn't-really-London-honest-guv drum*

Comment

If I had a choice between living in London, or living in suburbia, I'd gouge my eyes out and drink molten lead before choosing suburbia...!

Comment

Cockney, you don't want to live with people you don't know if you can possibly avoid it, and you don't want to listen to some slag of a flatmate banging strange men every weekend if you can possibly avoid it.

Have you considered getting a place on your own?

Comment

He's probably too poor to do that...

Actually, there's nothing wrong with living with people you don't know - as long as you pick the right ones in the first place...

Although nothing beats having a place of your own!

Comment

Working...
                              X