Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants recognize siblings

Loyal to Its Roots

From its diminutive lavender flowers to its straggly windblown stalks, there is nothing about the beach weed known as the Great Lakes sea rocket to suggest that it might be any sort of a botanical wonder.

Yet scientists have found evidence that the sea rocket is able to do something that no other plant has ever been shown to do.

The sea rocket, researchers report, can distinguish between plants that are related to it and those that are not. And not only does this plant recognize its kin, but it also gives them preferential treatment.

If the sea rocket detects unrelated plants growing in the ground with it, the plant aggressively sprouts nutrient-grabbing roots. But if it detects family, it politely restrains itself.
    All I can say is
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

picture plz

Comment

no picture, but you can have linky

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

cool

Comment

Wow, I guess some plants are smarter then others.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

****, vegans are going to have to starve now.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't believe it. I might believe their roots are stronger than some, but have the same strength to deal with, "with their own". It's not a recognition.
              Bah.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is not biologically complex behavior.

Comment

What about cross pollination? Is that an attraction for a different kind?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    This is not biologically complex behavior.
                    proof?
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Intuition. The plants are almost certainly secreting a chemical whose composition varies widely from individual to individual based on a combination of genetic markers. If a plant detects a marker sufficiently different from its own, it secretes a toxin. Not terribly different from the human immune system...

Admittedly the immune system is fairly complex, but not in the way everyone seems to be taking this.

Comment

I could buy into that. Doesn't even have to be widely different molecule, could just be a base molecule with differeing side chains depending on genetic difference coding for enzymes that attach the different groups.

What is interesting however, is how and why these genetic differences would arise. How closely related do the plants have to be to not compete etc?
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          I don't believe it. I might believe their roots are stronger than some, but have the same strength to deal with, "with their own". It's not a recognition.
                          Bah.
                          Define recognition. I see no reason why plants can't recognise genetically similar individuals though chemical means. Just cause they're stationary doesn't mean they're not biochemically complex, adaptive or able to respond.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

What about brains and the ability to reason? It's instinct?

Comment

Many of us humans do well without brains
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X