Calgary leads country in hate crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary leads country in hate crimes

Calgary has the highest rate of hate-motivated crime in the country, according to a new study released by Statistics Canada.

In 2006, 92 hate crimes were reported in Calgary — about nine incidents for every 100,000 people in the city, or three times higher than the national average of three per 100,000, said the agency Monday.

Calgary was one of five cities that reported data higher than the national average. The other four cities were all in Ontario.

The study pointed out that some cities' numbers could be higher because they have dedicated hate-crimes units or investigators. There is a hate/bias crimes liaison officer in Calgary.

"There can be differences among police services based on specific programs that would target hate crimes: zero tolerance policies among police services, internal protocols encouraging the public to report these types of incidents to the police hotlines," Mia Dauvergne, a senior analyst with Statistics Canada, told CBC News.

Hate-motivated cases made up less than one per cent of all criminal incidents reported by police in 2006.

Of the 892 hate crimes reported that year, the majority were motivated by race or ethnicity, said Statistics Canada. About 25 per cent were linked to religion and 10 per cent to sexual orientation.

The study found cases motivated by sexual orientation were more likely to involve violence and physical injury to victims than those driven by race, ethnicity or religion.

Among the 502 incidents motivated by race or ethnicity in 2006, half were targeted at blacks, 13 per cent at South Asians and 12 per cent at Arabs or West Asians.

Young people aged 12 to 17 were more likely than older age groups to be accused of hate crimes.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

What stupid journalism. Calgary reports hate crimes differently than other cities, as somewhat hinted at in the article.

It's not a apples to apples comparison.

Most cities will dismiss an assault by a white man on a black man as assault, some cities will classify it as a hate crime. Different policies and different structures lead to different results.

Coupled with the small sample size, this is a blatantly sensational article from someone who is clearly a liberal arts graduate.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Many crime stats suffer the from same problem. It is always difficult because of reporting differences.

I did find this interesting however:

Young people aged 12 to 17 were more likely than older age groups to be accused of hate crimes.

That seems counter-intuitive to me.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Nostromo
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Hate crimes

Calgary

Hate crimes in Clagary

Racist pigs!

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

whets the best thing that ever came out of Calgary?
            Highway 2 North.

What do you get when you cross a pig with a Calgarian?
            Nothing, even a pig has some standards.

Why do Calgarians cheer for the Flames?
            They prefer the Flames over professional hockey.

How many Calgarians does it take to shingle a roof?
            6 if you slice them thin enough.

What is 2 miles long and has an IQ of 65?
            The Calgary Stampede Parade.

Whats the best defense when fighting a Calgarian.
            Soap.

Have you read the Worlds Shortest Books?
            Calgary Wit and Wisdom.
            Calgary Hockey Stars.
            Handsome Men of Calgary.

Why do Calgarians Smell?
            So blind people can hate them too.

SPec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
              whets the best thing that ever came out of Calgary?
              Highway 2 North.
              I'm willing to bet you've never been on that highway.

It's sad that you have to google some jealous Edmontonian's troll.

Calgary is in every way the superior city to Deadmonton. Some of them realize it, the others all write **** like you just did.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

That seems counter-intuitive to me.
                It makes sense to me. Kids these days...

But seriously, it makes sense to me as younger people are more likely to act without thinking. Older people would be more likely to restrain themselves and keep their prejudices to themselves.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I haven't read the article so I don't know if they corrected for this, but... 12-17 year olds probably commit a lot more crimes than older groups anyway (excluding 18-25).

Comment

Yeah I see what you are saying. The prejudice may be more prevalent in older generations (as I suspect) but they know enough to shut up about it.

edit - Xpost

Kuci - Same idea. It usually becomes a hate crime b/c of what is said.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I'm willing to bet you've never been on that highway.

It's sad that you have to google some jealous Edmontonian's troll.

Calgary is in every way the superior city to Deadmonton. Some of them realize it, the others all write **** like you just did.
                      Wow, I caught a fish.

Spec.

Comment

And I bit your 2 inch dick right off. Ribbit.

Comment

Alberta

Calgary

Trolling Asher
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

why r u stalking me and harassing me just like you harassed lotm and panag?

Comment

Ah, you can take one little jest.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X