The Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Photography Thread

Hey everyone! Miss me? I've been away for a while but I won't bore you with any details and I don't want any welcome back parties either.

SO...I trust everyone owns a camera here...post your photos or links to photography (please NO family photos or any other personal material, just your best photography.)

Oh yeah, and tell the crowd what kind of camera(s) you own and your photography stories such as ex. "I tried to take a picture of an old man once and he punched me in the face..." You get the idea.

Well, I recently bought an Olympus E-510 SLR and I've been experimenting around with it.

Just recently opened an account on Flickr and posted some of my artwork there. Here is the link:

Explore VANKUSO’s 1,506 photos on Flickr!

I'm known as Captain Vankuso on there. Feel free to post comments too.

~ Dominikos ~
    ~ Dominikos ~

Some really nice stuff there, Dominikos, esp. on the first page.

Quick faves: In That Room, Little People/Frying Pan, Church Spire/Electrical Pole, Lonesome 3...

What is the subject of Heart of the Rose?
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

oh wow. you're good.

Kingdom of the Stacks

any time i take a good/interesting picture it's accidental.

Comment

Was that a statement about the state of your hygiene that day?

Cronos in 3, 2, 1...
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I'm here... but I have nothing new to show.

I'm just too busy right now... Maybe later in the summer!
          bleh

Comment

Dominikos: Do you want me to offer my POV about your photos? (criticizing it a little bit?)
            bleh

Comment

I'm not a photograph, I never take course in aesthetics but here my impressions and suggestions.
              IMO

In this pictures; I think the sky doesn't add anything to the pictures. I think you would add more dynamics in your picture sby getting rid of the sky.

Your version:
              bleh

Comment

I really love the subtle fade of the color in this one.

Do you add some red in photoshop in the right lower corner?

bleh

Comment

How was it done?
                  bleh

Comment

You have great photo skills (that's sure); but some of your pictures need feeling. I would recommend to experiment with photoshop.

here an example:

your version: Which I found dull.

My version; with more exposure, more contrast and with a little orange tone.
                    bleh

Comment

Somes of my old pictures...

One of my first pictures.

Last edited by CrONoS; June 8, 2008, 23:04.
                      bleh

Comment

I need to take new pictures; I tooked and work on these pictures 2 years ago... and I easily several errors on each of them.

But I'm so busy.. I wish I could be able to post new photos during july!
                        bleh

Comment

CrONoS, the more criticism the better!! I don't claim to be an expert and that's why I titled the album "Experimenting..."

But damn, those photos you posted are fantastic. Especially a great sense for lighting.

You're right though, some of mine do lack feeling. This is why I'm striving to take more and improve.

The one with the train could be altered. Too bad the text about impending danger doesn't fit the picture. Too bad I don't have the picture that does fit the text...oh well, that will change as soon I get out onto the tracks in the next few days...I'm always worried about the rail crews catching me though which spoils more than one good photo opportunity.

Heart of the Rose is actually a lamp. What I did was point straight up at the center of light coming from the lamp. It had a colorful glass shade mounted over it and that's what gives off the interesting effect and color.

The chimney one you're right about - I played around with the color a bit, just for the added effect. I think it's one of the best ones so far.

BTW, did use a tripod for some of those photos you posted? For longer exposure, you probably had to have, right?

~ Dominikos ~
                          ~ Dominikos ~

Comment

No tripod; took with the cam in my hand. The pictures were took in ISO 400 (maybe 800) in RAW; and I took my own noise reduction software(Noiseware ) to level down the noise.
                            bleh

Comment

And I suggest, if you have the patience, to take all your pictures in RAW and processing them yourself after.

Usually digicam are processing all of your pictures with many kind of filter and balacing them out the black/white, colors, noise reduction (which are usually done by a software in the digicam).

But I found out that usually, all you're photo will gain in quality; if you do these things all by yourself. Especially the noise reduction, so if you like to do night pictures... you better do it in raw.
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X