• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why gays will support John McCain in 2008

John McCain: Presidential candidate, ABBA fan

53 comments by Randy Cordova - Jun. 6, 2008 02:45 PM
    The Arizona Republic

Sure, you may know where Sen. John McCain stands on such issues as health care and abortion. But on Friday morning, he took a bold stand on one of the most controversial issues of the day.

The man loves ABBA.

The intriguing - some might say disturbing - revelation occurred during the Johnjay and Rich show at 104.7 FM (KZZP). The presidential candidate called in at 6 a.m. as part of the duo's Who Do You Know contest, in which famous people phone in and stump for everyday folks to win a car.

"He said that a lot of people won't admit that they love ABBA, but he would," radio jock Rich Berra says. "Then he asked us if it was old-fashioned to like ABBA, and we said that it wasn't old-fashioned at all."

Well, what could they say? Granted, ABBA broke up back in the '80s and was seen as wildly unfashionable for a time. However, the fab foursome has gained a whole new respect in recent years thanks to the success of the stage musical Mamma Mia!, which uses an all-ABBA score. A movie version opens July 18; we're sure McCain will catch it opening weekend.

The jocks also got the politico to drop an even bigger ABBA bomb: Before campaign speeches, he'll listen to the group's Take a Chance on Me to pump himself up.

"Those are the kind of hard-hitting political questions we ask," Berra says.

McCain spokesman Jeff Sadosky says it's not unusual for his boss to make unscheduled calls into radio programs.

"If it's something he takes an interest in and he has a good relationship with the station, it's the kind of thing he'll do," Sadosky says. "It's not surprising."

While Sadosky was unaware of McCain's phone call until he confirmed it with a co-worker, he wasn't surprised by the boss' fondness for Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny and Frida.

"Well, he does like ABBA," Sadosky confirmed.

McCain made the call on behalf of the family of Tucson Police Officer Erik Hite, who died Monday after being shot in the line duty. Thanks to calls from McCain and Charles Barkley to the station, Hite's family will win a new car.

McCain proved to be a gracious surprise guest, staying on the air for 30 minutes with the jocks. While both Johnjay and Rich shy away from airing their political leanings, Berra said the conversation made a strong impression on him.

"It's my personal belief that morning show disc jockeys should not have on an opinion on politics," Berra cracks. "We could say that the last person to call in to our show is the one we'll support. I'm sure that is a big issue to Barack Obama."

Who knows? It could wind up being his Waterloo.

It's pretty clear who would be a larger supporter of gay rights.

"Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

HOW COULD I FORGET
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

So will he be using "Waterloo" as his campaign song?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
        So will he be using "Waterloo" as his campaign song?
        You realize the article made the same joke.

Comment

GAH!! I HATE YOU, ANDY BERNARD!

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

You realize the article made the same joke.
            tldr.

But did the article say he'd do that to remind voters that he, in fact, served at Waterloo?
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
              GAH!! I HATE YOU, ANDY BERNARD!

Comment

Comment

Mamma Mia!
                  B♭3

Comment

Comment

I refuse to clink on ANY of those video links. You people are evil and should rot in hell.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

An ABBA-fan? McCain is now officially the PERFECT candidate in my view!

Comment

If only we had a symbol that indicated we were both gay and republican:

Last edited by DaShi; June 8, 2008, 14:19.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X