Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling your grandma

You might be disappointed, but this is a language question

In German when you say "someone would sell his grandma for X" it means the guy would do anything to get X. Is there a similar expression in English? Or does the grandma thing work here too? Please help me to deal with this mystery!
    Blah

Fine, noone likes me here

But don't come asking for German language help
    Blah

Comment

Yes... "I would set fire to a convent and beat the nuns as they run out for x!"

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
        I like to have that verified by independant sources. But thanks so far
        Blah

Comment

Similar phrases regarding grandmothers do exist in the English language. So take heart - Germans are not alone in their perversity.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's not used a lot, but saying "someone would sell his grandmother" is an English phrase.

Comment

It's usually "Someone will sell their own mother for X".
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                Is the "x" to be replaced with "entertainment"?
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ok, thx guys
                  Blah

Comment

I have to agree with Garth Vader on this one. While you do hear stuff about selling grandmothers, usually the saying is about selling one's own mother.
                    In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Well some flexibility can't hurt
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        Ok, thx guys
                        Does this mean we can take over this thread for spam other purposes?
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

One can always do this, only nubs ask for permission
                          Blah

Comment

I've heard "grandma" more than "mother".
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I've heard mother more than grandmother, but that might just be since I'm older.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X