• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wezil
    Oh right, I forgot.

"They weren't real commies."

Lather and repeat.
    ah you know damn well he was a totalitarian bastard. In my book communism does not necessarily entail a lack of democracy and good governance.

Besides, everyone in the world was (and still is) wasting the earth and its resources anyway.
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Yeah, but no one is 100% effiecent. It is part of the human design AFAICS
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Oh yes, I worked on all this a few years back...

One of the main concepts is something called 'virtual water exporting'.

Interestingly (i.e. it's obvious!) countries that tend to export a lot of food do so because of their sunny climates, however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that, in general, a sunny climate = little rain.

Many of these food crops are also water intensive and therein lies the problem in that as they export the food, they also export their precious water resources (Israel for example is similarly affected, but they don't care because they are busily raping the West Bank's water resources for all their heavy irrigation and hydroponic plants)...

What is needed is proper, organised and strong leadership from the local government to implement a coherent plan to put this concern into check. Hell, there's already a such a plan in place in Tenerife...

Basically you just try and switch to less water hungry strains of whatever you're growing, or even grow something different. As for any tourist related, you already have an abundant supply of water on your coast and simply build desalination plants (solar powered cos it's well sunny, like) and ding all the tourists with a water surchage, who won't even notice because they're only there long enough to use one or two weeks' of water whilst they're there...

Presto, problem solved!

===========

BTW, did you know that I also predicted the current world food crisis back in 2006 because of biofuels - I may have mentioned it here on Poly, but seeing as the mods are too stupid to get the search to work, who knows...

[/MOBIUSISRIGHT.COM]
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Spanish governments are always saying they are going to build desalation plants to solve the problem, specially after droughts periods, when water reserves are almost exhausted. For instance a month ago at Barcelona , there was literally not water, and the city was receiving water from other Spanish regions and even France. However last week rain came dowm (too much i would say), all dams are at full again, and all desalation projects have been of course forgotten until next drought. People here have less memory than shrimps.
          Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

The Sahara desert and it arid belt have been expanding for millenia.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that, in general, a sunny climate = little rain.
              Indeed, a rocket scientist is generally smarter than that.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs

ah you know damn well he was a totalitarian bastard. In my book communism does not necessarily entail a lack of democracy and good governance.

Besides, everyone in the world was (and still is) wasting the earth and its resources anyway.
                It doesn't matter the issue or the commie gov in question - If they did wrong a commie will tell you they weren't real commies. It's a very tired excuse.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I didn't say they were or weren't real commies. I said I don't defend the the Stalinists.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Can't they just build solar-powered desal plants? Or even better, nuclear-powered?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

You need a lot of electricity to run a desal plant (you have to boil a lot of water after all) so I imagine nuclear would be a better option then solar.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nowadays most modern desalation plants built are based in inverse osmosis. Only countries with high energetic resources (as Saudi Arabia) build destilation plants.
                        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Of course the real problem is the divergence of water for beer breweries that are required to keep the army of brit tourists along Costa Brava and del Sol satiated.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I thought Israel recently invented some new, faster, less expensive, de-sal technology.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                            X