National emergency declared in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National emergency declared in Indiana

BLOOMINGTON -- A teenager who drowned in a southern Indiana quarry died after making a 65-foot leap from an imposing ledge made famous in the movie "Breaking Away," police said.

Walter Ayala of Washington jumped Saturday into Sanders Quarry from "Rooftop" ledge, an imposing ledge from which actors in the 1979 film jumped into the quarry in Bloomington.

Friends of the 18-year-old filmed his jump and continued shooting until they jumped in to try to save him after he failed to resurface.

Divers soon reached Ayala, but he was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

An autopsy Monday found the teen's death "consistent with drowning," said Nicole Meyer, Monroe County's chief deputy coroner.

Indiana Limestone, which owns the property, posted numerous warnings imploring people not to swim there, 6News' Ben Morriston reported.

"You've got the thrill-seekers in the younger age demographic, and they come to jump the highest cliffs," said Brett Skilbred of Indiana Limestone.

Ayala and two friends were in town Saturday to watch the state high school track championships, but they later visited the quarry.

Footage from his digital camera shows that Ayala was apparently injured when he hit the water's surface after making his leap, a Monroe County police report said.

"He hit the water with his face forward and it appeared that his head snapped back when he hit the water," the report said. "He did not resurface."

Police released chilling images Monday taken from Ayala's camera showing he and his friends jumping off various cliffs and walking near Sanders Quarry.

In a short video clip, Ayala films the spot where he would soon make his fatal plunge.

"This is supposed to be scary," he said in the clip.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Department regularly patrols the secluded area, frequently handing out tickets for trespassing and illegal consumption of alcohol by minors.

The Academy Award-winning "Breaking Away" was about the Little 500 bicycle race held annually at Indiana University since 1951.

SUPPOSEDLY.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

You liar! You *** ***** ********* liar! How dare you ******** lie about that! ***** ****** ** * * *****!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I SAID SUPPOSEDLY
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Oh, then I apology for that outburst. Carry on.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Is it just me or are we sapping the significance out of just about everything these days?
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Everything seems less significant once you know me.

Comment

oh, gawd.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I just blew your mind.

Comment

I just went to Bloomington this weekend to take a cycling safety class. Strange that just after I take a cycling safety class, someone dies at site made famous in a cycling movie that takes place in the same city.
                  USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                  The video may avatar is from

Comment

You're lucky you weren't caught up in the hysteria there. I hear they declared a state of emergency.

Comment

I read it as "India". It was a quite believable title.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        You're lucky you weren't caught up in the hysteria there. I hear they declared a state of emergency.
                        You heard wrong.

Comment

My sources on my underground blogs say otherwise.

Comment

My relative who lives in Bloomington disagrees.

Comment

If you were a news editor of some kind, I might believe you.

Comment

Working...
                              X