Let's Meet in ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Meet in ...

I read that it's basically enough to tell to someone "Let's meet in London" and that the odds are that you'll be able to meet, that is: you will both appear in the same place at the same time.

It's fascinating, no?

There are elements of game theory there: you have to predict where and when I will be. I have to do the same.

Now the mechanism is fairly simple: having no coordinates most people will assume that the meeting will be at noon and in the main square.

But what if there are many squares none of which is really main? Or a number of landmarks?

Basically I wanted to test this hypothesis but now I realize that forum technology is not well suited for it. I'd tell you a city and you'd all have to tell me where and when you'd be, I'd then compare results.

We can discuss it anyway. How should one act in case of cities like London with many landmarks? If a beautiful girl tells me in passing "Let's meet in London" and then disappears, should I be at noon near Big Ben? Or somewhere else?

What if it gets even more complex: the date is not set? Which is the obvious date most people would choose to meet at?

Also you can tell me which is "the" place for your city, just in case this imaginary girl happens to be from there.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to define a precise venue. With close friends it would be sufficient to say lets meet in the usual place in London (although actually probably not as that depends on whereabouts in London we are meeting) but I don't think "Let's meet in London" would be sufficient to narrow it down.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to define a precise venue.

Comment

For a person you hardly know...

I think the best way to approach it would be to go about your visit to the city as normal, without any regard for the meeting (outside going to the city). You won't be able to make any meaningful predictions. The best you can hope for is that you have similar interests/instincts and will end up together at some point.

Comment

Re: Let's Meet in ...

Originally posted by VetLegion
            If a beautiful girl tells me in passing "Let's meet in London" and then disappears, should I be at noon near Big Ben?
            If a beautiful girl asked me to "meet her in London," she'd mean Big Ben. If she said "Washington, DC" she'd mean teh Washington Monument. Empire State Building in NYC, Burj al-Arab in Dubai, etc.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Maybe a bit off the topic, but bck in 93 I tried to make a hit on a girl I met in Valetta/Malta.

It turned out that she was my mothers sisters husbands sisters daughter I last had seen some twenty years earlier when she was six years old
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Second cousin... 2 times removed? Not even by blood, just in-law... Why is that a problem?

Comment

Aeson would hit it!
                  What?

Comment

Stop fantasizing about my sex life Rich. Please.

Comment

I could probably convince everyone in this thread, or any girl out there, to have sex with me. All I need is a pool table and a juke box and I am off to the races, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X