BJP wins Karnataka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJP wins Karnataka

Pretty heartening for supporters like me. This is their first clean win in a Southern state, where regional parties are generally very strong.

Link

BJP wins Karnataka, says its southern march on

New Delhi: The BJP’s dream of ruling a southern state was fulfilled on Sunday when it won 110 seats in the 224-seat Karnataka Assembly.

The Congress won 80 seats, the JD(S) 28 seats and others won six seats.

The BJP will meet Governor Rameshwar Thakur on Monday to stake claim to form the government. The BJP, which lost the 2004 General Elections and then the crucial UP elections in 2007, believes the victory in Karnataka marks its resurgence.

BJP chief Rajnath Singh said the party’s victory in Karnataka was a milestone in its social and geographical expansion and made it the front-runner in the next Lok Sabha elections.

"The natural conclusion after the Karnataka victory is that not only has our public mandate increased, the party has registered a social as well as geographical expansion," he said.

"The BJP had so far been seen as a North Indian party. Now, we can say that the BJP is an all-India party," Singh added.

Meanwhile, senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said the victory in Karnataka would have “national implications”.

“This is a breakthrough for BJP. This will be our gateway to the south and will have national implications. It should not be treated as a local victory as this is something that will help keep the party flock together and improve our performance for the upcoming state and general elections,” said Naidu.

B S Yeddyurappa, the BJP’s chief minister-designate, said, "We have not won a clear majority but the verdict is for a BJP government."

Congress accepts defeat

Former chief minister S M Krishna, who resigned as Maharashtra governor to lead the Congress’ campaign in the state, took moral responsibility for the defeat.

"I am sure that the BJP will get a workable majority and the Congress would act as a responsible Opposition,” he told CNN-IBN.

Congress leader in charge of Karnataka Prithviraj Chavan said his party was defeated because secular votes were divided between it and the JD(S). The Congress had won 65 seats in the last elections.

The JD(S) was the biggest loser as its hopes of being a kingmaker again like in 2004 were dashed. It is expected to win around 30 seats against 58 in 2004.

Congress leaders were talking of a tie-up with the JD(S) but its leader and former chief minister H D Kumaraswamy ruled out any alliance with the Congress or the BJP.

The BSP and the SP will come a cropper in the state. The SP suffered a huge setback as its state chief and former Karnataka chief minister S Bangarappa lost to Yeddyurappa in Shikaripura in Shimoga district.

Among the prominent winners till now was Kumaraswamy, who defeated the Congress in Ramanagaram constituency.

Yeddyurappa and Congress leader and former CM N Dharam Singh (Congress) M Mallikarjun Kharge were among others who have comfortable leads over their respective rivals.

Former minister and Congress heavyweight R V Deshpande lost the Haliyal seat to JD(S) candidate Sunil Hegde.

Hindu nationalists
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You whine.

We win.

Comment

More seriously, it's good to see pan-national parties gain traction in states where traditionally, regional parties have ruled the roost. National parties have to cater to everyone, and can't appeal to 'anti-outsider' sentiment to gain votes, as many regional parties do. Most of the regional parties of the south are based on hatred or resentment of the "North Indian" or (for the Dravidian parties) "Aryan" or "outsider" (the three are usually synonymous).

For instance, just today, a local party leader (of the MNS, a breakaway party of the Shiv Sena), railed against "moneyed North Indians" and academic institutions who allegedly "favour" them. This is just one of his many "anti-outsider" tirades. That's pretty much what his party is built on.

A pan-national party can't do that, because in the general elections, they have to answer to everyone, and the outsiders of one place are the insiders of another. Political self-interest alone is enough to keep them on the straight and narrow path of non-divisive growth.

Karnataka will be the BJP's "Gateway to the South". I'm waiting to see how long it will be before they can rout the Dravidian parties in Tamil Nadu. Once that's done, control over the centre is assured.

Comment

No one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
            You whine.

We win.

Actually, India loses.

Comment

What's BJP's programme?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                What's BJP's programme?
                Inflation, terrorism, and betrayal.

That was their plank in the K'taka election.

Comment

National parties have to cater to everyone, and can't appeal to 'anti-outsider' sentiment to gain votes, as many regional parties do.
                  Oh good. I expect the BJP will be putting up a Muslim candidate for prime minister sometime in the future.

Comment

I've been following this, obviously, since I'm a registered voter in Karnataka. I don't think this is all bad. I'm glad teh JD(S) got whipped, and teh Karnataka BJP is OK. I still miss teh glory administration of S. M. Krishna, though.

Karnataka is different from teh rest of teh south. It doesn't have a strong Dravidian movement, so this isn't as big a win as teh BJP is making it out to be (it's been ruled by teh Congress or various flavours of teh JD for years now, and those count as national parties). I don't see teh BJP in power in TN anytime in the next 20 years, no in Kerala within teh next 50.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Mmm, carne tacos
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Naxalites
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Crappy Hindu Nationalists who burn train loads of innocent people.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            What's BJP's programme?
                            Besides knocking down Muslim mosques?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ss opposed to non-Muslim mosques?
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X