Memorial Day Weekend, Observed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day Weekend, Observed

We Americans have a 3 day weekend. Too many of us, too many times, equate the long weekend with lakes, grilling and fun things.
    Here at ACS, let's remember the real reason.
    It's to honor military members who have made the ultimate sacrifice to give us our opportunities.

It's about 'A Table for One'.

"The table set here is to honor and remind us of those who are and have been prisoners of war or missing in action from all wars.

The chair is empty - They are missing.

The table cloth is white, symbolizing the purity of their intentions when called to arms by their country - so that their children and our children can remain free.

The lighted candle symbolizes the fraility of a prisoner alone but also the light of hope, which lives in our hearts to illuminate their way home.

The single red rose reminds us of their loved ones and families who keep the faith and await their return and also the blood shed in their sacrifice.

The Bible represents the strength gained through faith as we stand as one nation under God.

The slice of lemon on the plate reminds us of their bitter fate and suffering.

There is salt on the plate to remind us of the families tears as they wait and remember.

The glass in inverted because they cannot toast with us today.

As we look upon this table, we do not remember ghosts from the past, we remember those we depended on in battle, who depnded on us to bring them home and that they loved life and freedom as we do.

They will remember what we do, please honor and remember them.

May God forever watch over them and protect them and their families."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Sorry Sloww, your post is a bit too sentimental for me.

But I've seen the graves of your kids (and the Brits, the Canadians, the Poles, the ...) that never made it home, only 10 years before I was born. So yeah, let's remember them.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

From one who served and returned home to those who served and were called home

R I P and thank you

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I do not approve of the Bible there, but I respect any soldier who gave his life for whatever reason, right or wrong.
        Let there be no reason to fight and let the fallen not be forgotten.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
          I do not approve of the Bible there, but I respect any soldier who gave his life for whatever reason, right or wrong.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

A solumn day. So much sacrifice by so many.

Comment

Working...
              X