No announcement yet.

Apparently it's by some guy named Shakespeare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The name United Empire Loyalists is a honorific name which has been given after the fact to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other British Colonies as an act of fealty to King George III after the British defeat in the American Revolutionary War. ...These Loyalists settled in what was initially Quebec (including the Eastern Townships) and modern-day Ontario, where they received land grants of two hundred acres per person, and in Nova Scotia (including modern-day New Brunswick). Their arrival marked the beginning of a predominantly English-speaking population in the future Canada west and east of the Quebec border.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You DanS'd me.

Originally posted by Heraclitus
      Also you should really update the Union Jack, the one you use looks weird.
      Are you referring to the flag of Ontario? No one uses that. Doesn't matter.

:better crying:

I'm hurt, I really am.
      It was a challenge, not an insult. We definitely have a language barrier.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

The name United Empire Loyalists is a honorific name which has been given after the fact to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other British Colonies as an act of fealty to King George III after the British defeat in the American Revolutionary War. ...These Loyalists settled in what was initially Quebec (including the Eastern Townships) and modern-day Ontario, where they received land grants of two hundred acres per person, and in Nova Scotia (including modern-day New Brunswick). Their arrival marked the beginning of a predominantly English-speaking population in the future Canada west and east of the Quebec border.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Empire_Loyalists

A version of the Union Flag as used from 1707 to 1801, which can still be seen as a common Loyalist symbol in certain parts of Canada.

Its not even a proper title, so all the proper loyalists are dead all we have now are a bunch of kids trying to take credit.

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

You DanS'd me.
          Gosh, really?

Are you referring to the flag of Ontario? No one uses that. Doesn't matter.
          I read it on the internet so it must be true people use it.

It was a challenge, not an insult. We definitely have a language barrier.

You dirty gringo.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Well the US revolution was some time ago Heraclitus. You don't really expect there to be survivors today do you?

Yes, it is the decendants of UELs that populate some areas today. I recently lived in the Belleville area of Ontario was has strong UEL ties.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
              I read it on the internet so it must be true people use it.
              The Ontario flag is seen at all provincial buildings but I'd wager most people in Ontario would have difficulty recognizing it. The Canadian flag is preferred.

This is the Ontario flag.
              Attached Files

Comment

Well the US revolution was some time ago Heraclitus. You don't really expect there to be survivors today do you?
                Citation please. All you are doing is presenting is an opinon as a fact.

Yes, it is the decendants of UELs that populate some areas today. I recently lived in the Belleville area of Ontario was has strong UEL ties.
                Do you think people will agree with your point if you just make up as many non sequitors as you can? Please just because someone has kids dosen't mean he isn't alive.
                Last edited by Heraclitus; May 25, 2008, 12:38.

Comment

That's pretty

It would have been if you had accused me of making "assumptions"

Comment

A Note on Bawdy Elizabethan Humour
                    or, Who Put Those Pelvic Thrusts in My Shakespeare?

People who associate Shakespeare only with beautiful poetry and sublime emotions are sometimes shocked to see actors using coarse or suggestive gestures to impart rude meanings to his lines. Surely Shakespeare never intended his words to be taken that way?

Well, actually, yes he did. Shakespeare wrote about the full spectrum of human experience, and his plays are full of bawdy puns and wordplays, some of them startlingly explicit. But the passage of years has made many of those allusions obscure to modern audiences. Hence the explanatory gestures.

In general, we try to make clear everything that Shakespeare put into his plays, even those things that some people might find offensive. We don’t censor the plays, nor do we add unjustified sexual content. We simply try to shed light on what Shakespeare actually wrote.

Remember, he was trying to entertain as wide an audience as possible – not only his royal patrons but also the common people, who thronged to see his plays in the cheapest section of the theatre and who liked nothing more than a good risqué joke. And who’s to say Queen Elizabeth I didn’t enjoy a little bawdy humour just as much as her lowliest subjects?

So that's why Henry V was cupping his balls all the time.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Petruchio
                      What, with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again, good Kate; I am a gentleman.
                      Shakespearean dirty jokes

I probably had something to say about Hamlet ages ago, but that's the one play EVERY frigging Shakespeare class has to cover and I'm long since sick of the little emo jerkoff. It's not a bad play, just overexposed in academia. Now, Troilus and Cressida and Coriolanus, both of which I recommend, get no love. Nor do many of the histories. Pericles doesn't either, but then it doesn't deserve much, it's an incomplete work.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yup, it's cooler to like the less popular plays.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                        X