Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are the Mayor of Sao Paolo. How Would You Stop Crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are the Mayor of Sao Paolo. How Would You Stop Crime?

I just saw another documentary about Brazil. Manda Bala (2007). Anyway, the crime there seems to be so high that the rich have resorted to moving around in helicopter taxis and where that is impractical they go only in bulletproof cars. The worries about privacy we have here are completely lost on richer Brazilians who would gladly have a chip implanted so that their every move could be tracked (this one guy said he'd feel safe only with two chips). The kidnappings are commonplace and they are gruesome affairs: ears and fingers are routinely cut off. Very ugly.

So, how would you fix this? You are the mayor with a five year mandate and pretty much unlimited power. You want to create a city in which it is possible to safely walk around at least in daylight. How do you go about it?

I mean it has to be possible, right?

235U + n ----> 134Xe + 100Sr + 2n

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Have no idea whether the equation is correct but I gather you're thinking about nuking the place.

Comment

It's fubared. There's no way you can fix it up anymore. You'd have to take it in every level of society, you'd have to fix the socio-economic situation, you'd have to fix eeeeverything and even then the culture of favellas and all these crimes is already embedded now. The best thing you can do is keep the status quo, reduce it just a little bit or hopefully keep your own ranks as much corruption free as possible. And even these are sky high dreams.

Like I said, it's fubared.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If you can't stop it, take it over and be a gang leader
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Have no idea whether the equation is correct but I gather you're thinking about nuking the place.
            The reaction is one of the many possibilities, but you have gathered correct...

As a more serious answer, as long as ultra rich and ultra poor live together in so close proximity, what can you expect ?
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

The only way to have peace there IMO is that the criminal side or the ones acting criminal will gang up even more adn become more political. In a way where they want more power, they become drunk of it and enjoy the support of the local people. Give up the petty crap and randomness of things, become more organized.

Then, what you can do is negotiate with them. Give them a share of power but never give out your true power. Give them some sort of local responsibility, so they keep the peace in there ro something.

I don't see any other way out.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka I agree, the problem is the criminals are part criminals part local boys who made it and now help their hoods, give money to the poor and so on. So they have shelter and support there.

Comment

Crucifixion.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Demolish the slums.
                    Execute all criminals.
                    Deport the poor to agriculture camps.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Just lower the limit for being counted as poor so much that you have only rich guys, then noone needs to be criminal anymore
                      Blah

Comment

private ownership of flamethrowers.

Comment

The only possible fast solutions are authoritarian and fascistic.

People in the slums have extremely high fertility rates, if you have 5, 6, 7 kids you will never get out of the poverty cycle.

Legal abortion could do a lot to improve that, I am a catholic so I think abortions is murder, I would never allow it. But it "could help" diminish crime, if I didnt think abortions is murder.

Something less "bad" would be free state "tubal ligations"

I would create massive state owned Boarding Schools, criminal kids would be put there, and they would not be allowed to get out till they get the high school degree and learn some working class profession like carpenter, electrician, something that could make them useful for society, and help them get a job.

I would tolerate drugs like cocaine or pot, and I would completely destroy and declare war on crack and those kinds of drugs the very poor use, which destroy their brain, turns them into zombies who cant think of their acts. I would raid the shanty towns with the army to find the illegal crack factories.

Urbanization of the shanty towns would be the other very important thing to do. Create regular streets there, schools, hospitals, police etc

It is very complicated in fact.
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

All those ideas would cost $$. How's the money situation in Brazil?
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Get all the poor people to form a giant kumbaya circle... then carpet bomb them!

Comment

Working...
                              X