Should polygamy be made legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    Sayeth the communist. How suprising that individual liberty is unimportant to you.

-Arrian
    Not what I said.

What's the point of it if it makes everyone far worse off? The whole point of the social contract is that we give up certain liberties in order to secure others. In this case, men give up the opportunity to have more than one wife in order to live in a society where you can walk outside without constantly confronting African style armed gangs.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

And exactly how does polygamy lead to African style armed gangs.

Comment

Re: Should polygamy be made legal?

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
        It's being debated on a local radio show right now, in the wake of all the nonsense in Texas.

So, how 'bout it?

Is there any good reason it should be illegal? Really?

Personally wouldn't have any interest, but hey, I think gay marriage should be legal as well, but don't have any plans to engage in it either.
        POLY GAMY COMES FROM THE GREEK POLY MEANING MANY AND GAMY MEANING PERVERTED. The simple reality is that anything that goes against the natural order, which in our case is one man one woman, is PERVERTED by Greek standards and our own. ONCE YOU BREAK YOUR STANDARDS -- AND UNDERLINE THIS BECAUSE IT IS THIS POST'S THESIS STATEMENT -- YOU ARE LIABLE TO BREAK ALL YOUR OTHER STANDARDS. Pringle potato chips realized this when they made their slogan, Once you pop you cannot stop. The flood gates would be open to mass sex on cruise ships and even kitchen storage units.

There would be no taboos, only endless gay sex, and marriages to things up to and including inanimate objects. If marriage is not between a man and a woman, what is it between? Two men? Five men? TWO BROKEN TOASTERS. There is no line once you break it. This is why instant replay in baseball is a bad idea.

OH IT'S JUST FOR HOME RUNS AND FOUL BALLS!

NEWS FLASH

If it works for foul balls, PEOPLE WILL WANT TO REPLAY BALLS AND STRIKES, SLIDES, TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER PLAYS, AND BASEBALL will devolve into instant replay watching. People might not notice though because they will be busy jacking it and hammering their tenth wife in the stands the whole time.

Get this NONSENSE OP OUT OF MY FAAAACE!

Comment

Wiggy and Aggy, together at last.

(though, while I hate to mess with the nice snappiness of that comment, I do point out that Aggy at least makes a coherent argument)
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I heard all of those arguments on ESPN and I saw the Pringles ads repeatedly so it 's not just me saying those things. Though, not having an endorsement from a guy who thinks you should give the toddler the keys to the Hummer might not be all bad snarf

Comment

Coherent arguments
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                And exactly how does polygamy lead to African style armed gangs.
                Maybe you should click on provided links. Not all of them lead to goatse.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: Re: Should polygamy be made legal?

Originally posted by Wiglaf

POLY GAMY COMES FROM THE GREEK POLY MEANING MANY AND GAMY MEANING PERVERTED.
                  So I guess Monogamy means one perversion.

Comment

Kudos to Wiglaf for taking it all the way to RoboCon-scale lunacy. He's much funnier now

I suppose you COULD make it legal, but I'm not sure who in their right mind (in Western society) would want to be a second or third wife. It'd also introduce a bunch of annoying legal questions, unlike gay marriage where you can just point to the hetero precedent in most cases. Of course, I don't believe the government should have "marriage" at all, just the power to convey certain attendant rights quite flexibly. The idea of the government sanctifying my (or anyone's) sexual habits is absurd, given the number of sex scandals they produce every year.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

gamos comes from gamein which means to marry or give someone in marriage. I guess Wiglaf is wrong, although to be fair the Ancient Greeks were a bunch of rectum rangers.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

"Polygamists" don't actually "marry" their second+ wives anyways. (Sometimes not even their first.) When they say they are "married", it's not a legal thing. It's illegal to do, so they just act like husband and wife. They're just shacking up and/or having kids. (Somewhat like NBA players and their groupies...)

It happens already, and short of outlawing fornication (as defined as sex outside of marriage) that's not going to change.

Our society is rather ****ed up about this. If a man or woman wants to be dedicated to several others, they are viewed as perverted, even in cases where it wouldn't be a sexual thing. (Perhaps rightly so, but it's irrelevant for the hypocrisy.) Whereas if a man or woman wants to just **** a bunch of others semi-randomly, they are seen as a "stud" or a "whore" respectively.

Perhaps the moral of this story (other than women get the shaft... ) is you get what you pay for. The NBA player pays out the ass in child support, and the polygamist has his 10 wives giving him their "single mom" welfare checks. The NBA player gets viewed positively for his sexual conquests, and the polygamist is viewed as a pariah.

Comment

Yawn.

Women: like American Idol, nail polish, the WNBA, cooking, and childbirth/baby raising.

Men: like FIGHTING, sex, and alcohol.

This is not sexist but the truth. This is true even among lesser animals. Polygamy is wrong because one guy should not have to divide his attention between so many needy women and kids, it is unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                            Yawn.
                            Men: like FIGHTING, sex, and alcohol.
                            QFT

If a man doesn't like these things; they should wears women dress and do homework or women work, like in some primitive society, where men who refuse to be initiate (quite violently) should take the women social role!!

oohhh wait.. sorry! Men like these already exist, and we called them hippies!!!
                            bleh

Comment

Working...
                            X