• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinsese Oppressors Prevent Lord Shiva from Receiving Visitors

May 21, 2008
    China Blocks Thousands of Hindus From Tibet Pilgrimage
    By HEATHER TIMMONS and HARI KUMAR
    NEW DELHI — The Chinese government is refusing to issue visas to Hindus trying to make the traditional summer pilgrimage to what they hold to be the home of Lord Shiva in Tibet, forcing thousands to delay or cancel the trip.

Starting in June, Hindus from Nepal and India embark on a multiweek journey to the 22,000-foot Mount Kailash in the Himalayas and nearby Lake Mapam Yutso, known in India as Lake Mansarovar. The trip, a once-in-a-lifetime event for most who make it, includes treacherous off-road drives and several days of arduous trekking, and is believed to bring the traveler closer to the divine.

This year, though, the Chinese government is refusing to grant any visas for travel to the Tibetan sites from Nepal, tour operators in Nepal say. India’s Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that the Chinese government had cited unspecified “domestic reasons.”

At the same time, Beijing has retracted permission previously granted to Indian pilgrims who were planning to make the trip in early June. The Olympic torch is scheduled to go through Tibet’s capital, Lhasa, on June 20.

“I was planning for the last 10 years for this trip,” said Rajendra Goyal, 48, a Mumbai-based hardware trader whose trip has been canceled. Mr. Goyal said he was on a rigorous diet and exercise schedule for the last two months to make sure he was fit for the mountain hiking involved.

“A pilgrim is a pilgrim, not an activist or a politician,” he said. “I am going there for religious faith, not to do any violence.”

Tour operators and pilgrims said they believed that the cancellations were a result of the turmoil and demonstrations in Tibet that started in March. “This could be because of protests in Tibet; in fact, that is the main reason,” said Ripu Mardan, the information manager of Eco Trek International, a Katmandu-based tour operator. Eco Trek normally sends several hundred pilgrims a year to Mount Kailash and Lake Mapam Yutso.

Tour operators estimate that 5,000 to 6,000 pilgrims travel to the home of Lord Shiva, one of the six deities in Hinduism, from Nepal each year.

“This is our holiest of holy sites,” said Gopal Vijay Ditya Singh, 62, a professor of electrical engineering in Lucknow, India, who had paid $5,000 to go with his wife. “How can they stop us from going there?”
    This will be a lonely summer for Lord Shiva.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

So China's trying to prove to the world it's a major power and not a petty dictatorship...

... by cracking down on protestors and refusing access to religious sites?

Brilliant
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Oh, and a lovely while-you-wait after my post...
      [q="While you wait..."]If all the Chinese simultaneously jumped into the Pacific off a 10 foot
      platform erected 10 feet off their coast, it would cause a tidal wave
      that would destroy everything in this country west of Nebraska.
      [/q]

Comment

If that tidal wave can get past the Rockies, I'm pretty sure it will make it past Nebraska.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Rockies would slow it down.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slowwy proving he deserves his handle
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

What? I think you missed something.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

considering Mad monk said basically the same thing 15 minutes before you did...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'll type this slowly.

He...said....past.....Nebraska.
                  I...disagreed,... because...of...the...Rockies...which...he...cited.

Do you understand now? Should we go pictures?

Comment

Exactly. Your post was entirely superflous.

Comment

It was obtuse to say I disagreed with him?

Keep banging that head.

Comment

I'm on Sloww's side, actually... MM said if it can get past the rockies, it will go PAST nebraska. Sloww said that the rockies will slow it down enough to only go to Nebraska.

*Note: I'm not agreeing with his statement, just that it's fundamentally different from MM's.

Comment

As long as we're talking about Chinese oppressors it is worth noting that Bush has been helping the CCP out by roughing up Chinese Ughars (Muslims from west China) in gitmo then allowing the CCP to bring in their own torturers to finish the job. I really don't like the idea of CCP torture agents working in a US prison.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            I'm on Sloww's side, actually... MM said if it can get past the rockies, it will go PAST nebraska. Sloww said that the rockies will slow it down enough to only go to Nebraska.

*Note: I'm not agreeing with his statement, just that it's fundamentally different from MM's.
                            Olorado Springs might be beach front.
                            Besides all that, look how shrimpy the average Chines is, I mean really. Even if they all jump in, it's a lot less mass than if regular people jumped in.

Comment

It's downhill from Nebraska pretty much until you get to the Mississippi, so the wave would keep going at least to Illinois.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X