Loving v. Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    You might be surprised, but I'm willing to bet a large percentage of that 17% is actually minorities.
    Definitely the case back in the early 90's. Probably still today. Jungle Fever and all that jazz.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
      The world will be a better place when race is discussed and treated about the same as hair or eye color.
      I agree with treating people equitably regardless of race, but pretending race doesn't exist, or isn't significant, hasn't gotten us anywhere.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The world will be a better place when race is discussed and treated about the same as hair or eye color.
        I ain't never voting for no redhead. Those clowns shouldn't even be allowed to vote!
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
          I agree with treating people equitably regardless of race, but pretending race doesn't exist, or isn't significant, hasn't gotten us anywhere.
          OMG, Caligastia made an intelligent statement about race. Of course, it likely comes from an evil premise, but I'll take what I can get.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As a side note, it always amuses me that Obama is referred to as black when he is 50% white. This still represents the subconcious prejudice throughout society that says unless your genes are 100% of the superior race (white) you are somehow a member of the inferior race.
            It would be more interesting if the media referred to him as black if he 1) went to a "white" church and 2) was married to a white woman. As it is, the media referring to him as black seems to be consistent with his own life style choices and even how he views himself. OF course, the way he views himself is more of a product of his experiences in his youth, 20+ years ago than of the current climate.

Comment

OMG, Caligastia made an intelligent statement about race. Of course, it likely comes from an evil premise, but I'll take what I can get.
              What evil premise might that be?
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

As a side note, it always amuses me that Obama is referred to as black when he is 50% white. This still represents the subconcious prejudice throughout society that says unless your genes are 100% of the superior race (white) you are somehow a member of the inferior race.

If Obama's skin was his hair, he wouldn't be blond.

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Obviously, you are a product of an interracial marriage then.

A poor troll from the 17%.
                  You have to at least give him credit for trying.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                    I was wondering if someone would remember.

Except I'm not sure my parent's marriage would be illegal before Loving v. Virginia. Didn't these anti-miscegenation laws only apply to blacks and whites?
                    Legally speaking Asians were classified as white and could use whites only facilities. Never really understood that one other then there just weren't many Asians in the south in those days so they didn't bother coming up with a separate classification system.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I had noticed that too, and drawn similar conclusions...
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Do you folks honestly not know about the one-drop-rule? If you have "one drop" of non-white blood, you aren't white. Whole categories of people were made up, mulattoes (mules), quadroons, octoroons, etc. The product of a white and Indian is a mestizo. The product of a Black and Indian is a zambo. This is part of our cultural heritage.

That's kinda cool, actually. We're finally moving past that BS.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Legally speaking Asians were classified as white and could use whites only facilities. Never really understood that one other then there just weren't many Asians in the south in those days so they didn't bother coming up with a separate classification system.
                          There seems to be confusion as to how Indians (not the native american variety) are classified. Being "Asian" in the US typically means East Asian and forms usually omit being mixed race. Whenever some kind of form asks for ethnicity, I mark Caucasian.

Comment

Do you folks honestly not know about the one-drop-rule? If you have "one drop" of non-white blood, you aren't white. Whole categories of people were made up, mulattoes (mules), quadroons, octoroons, etc. The product of a white and Indian is a mestizo. The product of a Black and Indian is a zambo. This is part of our cultural heritage.

That's kinda cool, actually. We're finally moving past that BS.
                            I actually never heard of that. It is a purely US thing, I think...
                            http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Actually, a lot of those terms came out of colonial South America under Spain and Portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                                Whenever some kind of form asks for ethnicity, I mark Caucasian.
                                Just curious. What sort of form would that be here in 2008? I'm not amazingly surprised, but still getting a wee bit of a 'huh?' reaction similar to the one Thue had before.

Only exception is that I don't suppose this is purely an American thing:

Holy cow. The list, which is from Las Castas Mexicanas by Maria Concepcion Garcia Saiz (1989), gives names for more than two dozen racial/ethnic combinations. These range from the well-known mulatto (white/black) and mestizo (white/Indian) to zambo (Indian/black or mulatto), morisco (white/mulatto), and albino (white/morisco). Then you get into ahi te estas (mulatto/mestizo coyote--don't ask), albarazado, barcino, calpamulato, cambujo, and on and on. Clearly Americans aren't the only ones obsessed with their neighbors' pedigrees.
                                The source is a Straight Dope Classic. Neat-o story about submitting racial specifics for official purposes in there too.
                                Last edited by Monk; May 21, 2008, 21:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X