X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France Declares War On Happiness

France mulls happy-hour ban to curb youth drinking

Reuters, Monday May 19 2008

PARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - France is considering a ban on happy hours in bars and on the sale of bottles of vodka and other strong liquor in nightclubs as part of efforts to curb binge drinking among young people, an official said on Monday.
    The proposed measures are being discussed with producers and distributors of alcoholic drinks and decisions are expected within weeks, said Etienne Apaire, head of a government body in charge of the fight against addiction to drugs or alcohol.
    "What we have seen in recent years is an increase in alcohol consumption among young people, and in particular an increase in the kinds of behaviour that lead to drunkenness," Apaire told Reuters in a telephone interview.
    He said research conducted in 2005 showed about one in four French 17-year-olds reported getting drunk at least three times in the previous 12 months, while one in 10 said they had got drunk 10 times or more.
    Apaire said one possible measure to counter the trend would be to ban "open bar" schemes in which customers can have as many drinks as they can manage for a set price. Apaire said such schemes encouraged drinking games and drunkenness.
    Also being considered is a ban on "happy hours", during which bars or nightclubs offer cheaper drinks to try to attract customers earlier in the evening.
    Other possible measures could include restricting the sale of vodka, whisky and other high-alcohol-content drinks in nightclubs to glasses, not bottles, and raising the legal age at which people can buy alcoholic drinks to 18.
    Under current laws, teenagers aged between 16 and 18 are allowed to buy beer and wine.
    Patrick Malvaes, president of a union representing nightclub owners, said the proposed measures would not achieve the objective of reducing youth drunkenness and improving road safety because most drinking went on in private homes.
    "It's a stupid measure," he said, referring to the proposed ban on the sale of bottles of strong liquor in nightclubs.
    "People buy bottles when they are in a group because it's cheaper and they can last a long time on a single bottle. Does the government want people to spend their money individually to get wasted on beer instead?" he said.
    Apaire rejected the criticism, saying no decision had been taken yet and the government was not only tackling bars and nightclubs but also supermarkets, where there are currently almost no controls on young people buying alcohol. (Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by David Fogarty)
    The article that you tried to access, which was part of a feed supplied by a news agency, is no longer on available on the Guardian site

Happiness
    Happy Hour
    French
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

We have a similar ban here although our drinking age is higher that 17 (even in Quebec).
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I tought the French drinking age was 18.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
        I tought the French drinking age was 18.

Other possible measures could include restricting the sale of vodka, whisky and other high-alcohol-content drinks in nightclubs to glasses, not bottles, and raising the legal age at which people can buy alcoholic drinks to 18.
        Under current laws, teenagers aged between 16 and 18 are allowed to buy beer and wine.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

We have a similar ban here although our drinking age is higher that 17 (even in Quebec).
          Wow, I didn't know that. Is that new? I swear there were happy hour specials when I was in Halifax last (4 years ago).

In the US you can not buy bottles over the bar. That is one of the things I like about Europe and the Middle East.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I generally think that not permitting buying bottles over the bar is a good thing in terms of limiting public drunkenness It's not like you can't do both, you just have to go to a bit of extra work to do so. Letting the bartender have a greater ability to cut you off (by getting to see you for every glass, instead of just once a bottle) is a good thing.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You can get bottle service at clubs
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The government should not interfere. Let those who are foolish enough to drink themselves to ruination do so. Society is better off without such. They're trying to fix a problem which pretty much fixes itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Wow, I didn't know that. Is that new? I swear there were happy hour specials when I was in Halifax last (4 years ago).
                  Liquor laws are provincial (hence different ages between provinces). Nova Scotia obviously allows such practices. It's been illegal in Ontario for quite sonme time.

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      The government should not interfere. Let those who are foolish enough to drink themselves to ruination do so. Society is better off without such. They're trying to fix a problem which pretty much fixes itself.
                      That's a bit far even for a libertarian... more like anarchist

The government's job is, largely, to keep social order. Drunkenness at HOME is fine. Drunkenness away from home is not fine, as it causes an annoyance and often a danger to others.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

That's a bit far even for a libertarian... more like anarchist

The government's job is, largely, to keep social order. Drunkenness at HOME is fine.
                        True.

Originally posted by snoopy369

Drunkenness away from home is not fine, as it causes an annoyance and often a danger to others.
                        Also true.

Hmm....... this seems like a tough one to crack. As long as the drunk-asses aren't being a menace to others, I see no problem. Is this targeted towards public drunkenness only?

Comment

It seems like it is being considered because drunk youth are causing trouble, percieved or real.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            It seems like it is being considered because drunk youth are causing trouble, percieved or real.
                            Easy enuf problem to solve. Just raise the drinking age to 35.

Comment

Working...
                            X