This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The California Supreme Court has overturned a ban on gay marriage, paving the way for California to become the second state where gay and lesbian residents can marry.

The justices released the 4-3 decision Thursday, saying that domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George.

The cases were brought by the city of San Francisco, two dozen gay and lesbian couples, Equality California and another gay rights group in March 2004 after the court halted San Francisco's monthlong same-sex wedding march that took place at Mayor Gavin Newsom's direction.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Beat you to it by 1 minute.

Comment

Congratulations! When are you getting married Imran?

Comment

(...) paving the way for California to become the second state where gay and lesbian residents can marry.
        Wait....when a gay marries a lesbian - is that just the same man/women stuff they had before?
        Blah

Comment

I lend my support to Imran's gay thread
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
          X