Need Help with Human Resource Homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Human Resource Homework

Is anyone here willing to help me with my HR homework?

I misread my syllabus and the homework is due Monday, not a week from Monday, and because of the lay off, complications with a root canal, a stomach virus, and phone interviews I have been unable to perform the homework. Which, is to interview an HR Manager and write a report on it. Apparently all the HR Managers I know are too busy to respond to my questions, so I am turning the trusty Polytubbies. This is for my intro to HR course.

I need to interview a HR Manager, in the United States. If anyone here has that job description and can answer the following questions, please let me know. I will need to collect personal information (send via PM) for the sake of the report.

1. How would you describe your role and responsibilities as a Human Resource Manager?

2. What do you consider the two most difficult issues that you have to deal with as a Human Resource Manager on a fairly consistent basis?

3. We are told the American workforce is becoming more diverse. What challenges does this present to an organization from a Human Resource perspective?

4. What causes careers to stall?

5. What kind of performance appraisals do you use? How do you feel about forced rankings?

6. How do you recruit new employees?

7. Would you recommend a career in Human Resources? Why or why not?

8. What is the biggest mistake college graduates make upon entering the workforce?

If you are not an HR Manager, and want to answer these questions anyway, go write ahead. I think some of them are good questions to ask for all of us who are employed; i.e. why do careers stall, biggest mistake college grads make,...
    Monkey!!!

I have been a position that could be loosely defined as HR manager (in retail)... if you don't get anyone better feel free to ask me However it's only at the store level, and was by no means my only (or even primary) responsibility, so i'm sure there are people more accurately described as such. And, it's no longer my career field.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Aren't human resources food and electricity and such?
      "

Comment

What are you, a cannibal

Comment

Now that would make for a very interesting report
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Human resources => Resources Human use
            "

Comment

So natural resources -> resources nature uses?

Comment

Well, not entirely inccurate...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  So natural resources -> resources nature uses?
                  yes
                  "

Comment

My kid sister used to be an HR manager.

I'll try and contact her tonight & see if she's willing to talk to you over the phone.

Comment

I sent you something that might me usefull.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah rah rah for rah

(I thought we had an HR person around here somewhere.)

Comment

I'm not in HR but I've hired 100s of people over my career. I'm in IT.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Japher -

I couldn't reach my sister last night. Did you get what you need from other sources, or do you need me to keep trying?

Comment

Here is something along the lines of what I would put...

1. How would you describe your role and responsibilities as a Human Resource Manager?

Find and retain the right people for the right jobs.

2. What do you consider the two most difficult issues that you have to deal with as a Human Resource Manager on a fairly consistent basis?

a. People need more sexual harassment training. Frequently people seem to misunderstand policy.

b. I do not have enough control over decisions for employee benefits.

3. We are told the American workforce is becoming more diverse. What challenges does this present to an organization from a Human Resource perspective?

More flexibility is needed to tailor benefits to the needs of the individual.

4. What causes careers to stall?

Watch Office Space and write the reasons why those two guys with the same name think the main character is bored.

Basically, also something along the lines of not being stimulated enough. Also, they might not see enough promotion opportunities or they don't believe the benefits outweigh the work and responsibility of the next higher job they would have, which is something HR could help fix.

5. What kind of performance appraisals do you use? How do you feel about forced rankings?

I don't believe forced rankings are good. Instead it is important to look at the skills and individual brings to the table, as well has how that individual works as an integral part of the team.

6. How do you recruit new employees?

I find great, experienced employees at other companies and offer them a raise to work for us. Also, I create a benefits package that would attract young, intelligent, and energetic workers right out of college.

7. Would you recommend a career in Human Resources? Why or why not?

I would. I find my job very rewarding when I see the success of the employees that I have brought in and retained in the company.

8. What is the biggest mistake college graduates make upon entering the workforce?

Not working for YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X