Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judges abandon wigs for 'Star Trek' look (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judges abandon wigs for 'Star Trek' look (Britain)

BRITISH judges have abandoned a 300-year-old tradition of wearing horsehair wigs to a chorus of mockery from fashion critics and traditionalists, who say the new robes have turned them into Star Trek look-a-likes.

The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, felt the old-style wig and gown look was out of touch with the 21st century and thought it was time to go bare-headed.

So from October, judges hearing civil and family cases in England and Wales will don a new robe designed by Betty Jackson, who also makes "funky British clothes for aspiring funky British girls.''

They will wear simple black gowns fastened with poppers (snap fasteners) and decorated with gold, red or lilac bands depending on their seniority.

One paper said the robes would make the wearer look like Disney villain Cruella de Vil

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

No pics.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Comment

Maybe the Judges would prefer this?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Couldn't they simply switch to wearing a suit?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

There is 300 years of tradition in those whigs. I hope they change their minds and keep with tradition. I mean a great many of the common wealth countries still have judges wear whigs.

Comment

Meh, what is tradition anyway?

Comment

Maybe they just should start wairing tories ?
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                X