Plastic models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic models

So I bought the Tamiya 1/350 DKS Bismarck, with the intention of eventually building all four ships involved in the Battle of the Denmark Straight (HMS Suffolk and Norfolk really don't count). There are 1/350 scale models of Hood and Prince of Wales but not of Prinz Eugen.

Okay, I figure the whole thing's gonna take me a few years, and maybe a PE will be out by then. I also considered using a 1/400 Bismarck (heavily modified, of course).

Any of you build models?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I did, over 40 years ago 1/72 WW2 planes and hanging them from the ceiling of my bedroom.

Good times...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Yeah, they tend to be rather shoddy...
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I'm working on a PzKpfw IV Ausf. H, a neat looking Nazi tank.

Mine's gonna be in winter camo, though.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As a kid, I was the worst model builder in the galaxy. I'm sure, as time's gone by, I've only gotten worse.

Comment

I traded the Tamiya Bismarck in for the new Revell of Germany 1/350 model. The RoG model was apparently handled badly in shipping, but I'm still ecstatic with it. There's so much more detail.

It's humorous how models of Nazi military machines made or sold in Europe can't have the swastika included, so I have little Nazi flags with no swastikas. Not that it matters for the Bismarck. During the Battle of the Denmark Straights, the Bismarck wasn't flying any flags and the deck swastikas were covered with gray canvas.

Comment

I built the same Tamiya Bismark about 4 years ago. I had great fun with it, though for some reason the painting was a pain in the ass for that one.

It was destroyed in my last move a year ago
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

You'll just have to build a new one then.

Maybe we could do a thread where we each build our ships and compare and contrast.

What I liked about the Tamiya was there's an extensive aftermarket for enhancements to make it more realistic. What I don't like is that if you shell out for all three of the White Ensign Models kits, it's over $150, not including the $70 for the model. The Revell of Germany kit isn't as good as the Tamiya + WEM, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and I like the plastic anti-aircraft of the RoG better than the replacement WEM brass etched.

Since I'm intending to do the Battle of the Denmark Straights, Bismarck won't be sporting his characteristic camouflage, which was painted over in Norway before he left for open Atlantic.

I still might get one of the brass etching kits, because I'd like to have details on the range finders and have doors and such.

One guy took three years of modding and detailing to build his Bismarck. I'm not that insane, but damn did his ship look great.

Comment

I've finished my tank.

Looking at the decals on my tank and the image from above, it looks like they are from the same unit. Only the numbers are different.

Comment

Shouldn't you rather build models of T-34s and MiGs instead Che?
                    Blah

Comment

T-34's aren't as cool looking, and while I don't ever want to do a 1/72 scale tank again, if I could find a t-34, maybe I could have it opposing my Panzer.

I'm looking for a dogfight combination to do next: either Soviet v Nazi, although the Salvadoran v Honduran Soccer War would give me the opportunity to build a P-51 Mustang and a F4U Corsair.

Comment

Well, I got another tank instead.

This time it's 1/35 scale.

Again, it's a PzKpfw IV, but this time, Ausf. F2. These didn't have the external armor of late models Gs, as well as the H and Js. I'm going to do a paint job for a tank from the 204th Regiment of the 22nd Pz.Div. The regiment and division took part in the Battle of Rostov (1942) and was savaged, then sent to support the 6th Army in Stalingrad, where it was nearly destroyed.

After I finish this, I'll build a PzKpfw IV Ausf. E from the same unit, with the stubby cannon. I'm thinking I'm gonna do a diorama, maybe for Rostov, maybe for Stalingrad.

Comment

I only build some planes as a kid. Today I rather build virtual models for my rendering software
                          Blah

Comment

I just found a photo of the tank specific tank I had decided to model.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's an illustration of the same
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X