Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not positive, but I think it's Berz that has, or had, in the sig line. The reason it comes up is that it was one of the While Waiting quotes. It's not a bash on the person, Berz on not. It's a Jim question.
    Actually I think it was Deity Dude who had that in his sig and attributed it to me. I dont remember if I ever used that exact phrase but I may have used a variant. Cant remember the armadillo part

For starters, what does it really mean? Surely, I'm not the only living person that has views on both left and right side of issues.
    Well, I think it means you'll become roadkill trying to remain neutral in a barfight...or something like that.

Now this is my counter point in Mr. Hightower's statement. If a person has the both sides views, would that not become balance, middle of the road?
    Yes Grasshopper, perfect balance - the word is om

He's not saying you gotta pick left or right on every issue, just take one and do it with enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
      You can find some cool stuff on the side of the road.
      like hitchhikers

Comment

Originally posted by b etor

like hitchhikers
        Picking up a hitchhiker is one of the more dangerus things you can do.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

Originally posted by SlowwHand

I think this could be a poll, don't you think? All your head.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You miss Hightower's point, which is the same as echoed by Edmund Burke two hundred years ago, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Those who sit in the middle of the road allow evil to triumph because they won't stand against it.

And it's "Ain't nothing ..." not "There's nothing...."
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think Hightower is merely encouraging people to be extremists.

A more betta quote:

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!
              ...Acceptance Speech of Barry Goldwater as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.

Comment

Che, your comparison, well, sorry, but it sucks.
                The 2 quotes have nothing to do with each other.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  I think Hightower is merely encouraging people to be extremists.

A more betta quote:

...Acceptance Speech of Barry Goldwater as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.
                  Isn't Goldwater there doing the same?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Che, your comparison, well, sorry, but it sucks.
                    The 2 quotes have nothing to do with each other.
                    Have you read the book? Then stop talking out your ass.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Isn't Goldwater there doing the same?
                      I don't think so. While Hightower is embracing extremism, Goldwater was a man of principal. His firm positions on issues opened him up to charges by LBJ's minion that Goldwater was an extremist. Rather than getting defensive, Goldwater retorted, essentially, that if defendant liberty and justice was extremism, when then he was one.

It was Goldwater that, early on, gathered me into the fold of conservative Republicans.....

Comment

Hightower is not an extremist. What he is saying is that people need to get off their ass and stand up and do something about the extremists who've hijacked the GOP. Instead, you have all these moderates sitting around going, "Well, they might have a point, let's compromise."

Comment

That was back when conservative Republicans were like Goldwater.

Those were the days ...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I read in a Dave Barry book that people used to go around putting "put your Goldwater here" stickers above urinals. I wasn't born yet at the time; can any of our resident geezers verify?
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              That was back when conservative Republicans were like Goldwater.

Those were the days ...
                              QFT

Comment

Let's start the "Goldwater" party. You can be party chairman. I'll be the guy who runs the scenes behind the scenes.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X