Things to see and do in Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to see and do in Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston

I'll be in Philadelphia (May 24 and 25), NYC (May 26-29), and Boston (May 30-June 1).

What are your recommendations for what I should see and/or do?

* If anyone's in town then and wants to grab a beer, let me know!

Philadelphia: Visit Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Indepence was signed.

NYC: See a Broadway play.

Boston: Buy a tea bag, curse King George III, and throw the tea bag into the harbor.

Comment

Get a pizza. Maybe not Boston
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        NYC: See a Broadway play.
        qft.

Boston: if you like water animals definitely check out the new england aquarium

Comment

In New York, buy an Eli Manning Jersey (A Super Bowl XLII champions shirt would also be good) and a Yankee's cap. Make sure you wear them both at the same time in view of a lot of people while you are in Boston. Also make sure you have your wallet with you when you do this
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Random Cultural Activities

General

- Watch the Movies National Treasure and National Treasure 2 for extra ideas.

Philadelphia

- Eat a "Philly" Cheesesteak
            - Visit the Liberty Bell

NYC

- Eat a hotdog and a pretzel from a street vendor... I never dared, but it is recommended.
            - Go to a non-chain pizza place and order a large pizza.
            - Ride a horse-carriage in Central Park.
            - See the Metropolitan Art Museum (I wasn't impressed though)
            - See the MoMA (very impressive!)
            - See the Statue of Liberty
            - Broadway Play (plan ahead for this)
            - Times Square at Night
            - Ride the Subway on Manhatten Island.
            - Ride the Bull on Wall Street... (Fight the Bears )
            - Buy a miniature statue of Libetrty and or Empire State building (don't pay more than 8 dollars if possible- they're only worth 3.)
            - Buy some street art of the City (you can get good work for 5-10 if they're prints.)
            - I'm not into this, but some people are... you could always see the naked cowboy and get your picture taken with him.
            - See a Yankees Game (??) [American Baseball]

Good Luck
            ~DC.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

- Eat a "Philly" Cheesesteak
              BEWARE OF HEARTATTACK!

- See a Yankees Game (??) [American Baseball]
              The Mets are doing better this year and I'd imagine they have cheaper tickets, but a Yankees game goes along with my idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Will
                In New York, buy an Eli Manning Jersey (A Super Bowl XLII champions shirt would also be good) and a Yankee's cap. Make sure you wear them both at the same time in view of a lot of people while you are in Boston. Also make sure you have your wallet with you when you do this

I have a Patriots cap... do you think the Eli jersey would go well w/ it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

I have a Patriots cap... do you think the Eli jersey would go well w/ it?
                  If you want akward looks

Wear the Pats cap in both Philly (yes, some people in Philly do still hold a grudge) and New York. Make sure the cap is seen by anyone wearing in Jets cloths. This should have the same effect as what I mentioned before

Comment

In New York City:

Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (Maybe DarkCloud is jaded)
                    Wak accross the Brooklyn Bridge, if the weather is good.
                    Walk around Central Park
                    Visit the "Top of the Rock", the observation deck at the top of the GE building in Rockefeller Center. It's not as high as the Empire Estate, but it is much bigger and easier to walk around in, and it gives you a better view of the overall City.

DarkCloud is right about planning ahead to see a Broadway show - they are not cheap, and many are very busy.

I would be willing to give specific recommendations regarding places to eat if you would like. I will also certainly be in NYC to have a beer..
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      - Broadway Play (plan ahead for this)
                      When I was in New York, I was able to walk up to the box office and get a last-minute single ticket (i.e. a "rush" ticket.)

Comment

It certainly is possible to get tickets without thinking ahead, but its a big investment in time and money to make on a trip, so it is probably beast to plan (specially if coming from overseas).
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Zkribbler- it can certainly be done, I agree. But when someone has limited time- it's best to have things arranged ahead of time- if only so that they can plan when to visit other places.

If he doesn't know when he can get tickets for a play, he may have to work everything else around anticipating that he may or may not be able to get in on one of several days. If he buys ahead of time, he can plan all his other activities.
                          -
                          Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (Maybe DarkCloud is jaded)
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The Yankees are on the road 5/26-5/29 in Baltimore, so that's a no-go. You can take a tour of the stadium, though. It's a tad more historic than Shea...

The Mets are home, playing Florida.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              It certainly is possible to get tickets without thinking ahead, but its a big investment in time and money to make on a trip, so it is probably beast to plan (specially if coming from overseas).
                              Do they still have the 1/2 price ticket line? It's basically pot luck, as I recall, but it's not too expensive, is it?

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X