No announcement yet.

Sign of the Cross.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Episcopalians ( and Anglicans ) do it, but I don't, 'cause I'm old school.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Didn't know that about the three fingers together.

It's forehead, chest, left shoulder, right shoulder.

How I always remember it is "glory be to the father, (forehead), son (chest), holy spirit (left-right shoulder).
      Left to right...that's opposite to how the movie Nuns on the Run taught me about it - "Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch". Don't blame me for that - blame the British and Robbie Coltrane.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I do it with my right hand, by putting the thumb and the next two fingers following the thumb together (I dont know the name of those fingers in english)

Then it goes up-down-left-right

I also do it on the street when I pass in front of a catholic church (orthodox and armenian too)
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          The old-believer Russians broke off long before the Bolshevik revolution.

JM
          Hmm, I really should know more about my own church history. I was thinking of ROCOR, the (newly-non--)schismatic Russians in America. I was aware of the old believers but never really think about them; my bad.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            I have only seen Catholics do the sign of the cross.
            my lutheran friends say it's optional for them to make the sign.

Comment

I don't cross myself. But if I were to do it, I wouldn't think of how it was done. God don't see our "technique", our outer show of our faith, he looks to our heart and relation to him.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

We aren't trying to figure out which is the right way to do it Nikolai. People are just curius about cultural diffrences and from where they originate.... that or they just like to spam irelevant stuff.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

k
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                    I have only seen Catholics do the sign of the cross.
                    And don't forget it:

A furious row has erupted after a Celtic footballer was given a formal caution for blessing himself during an Old Firm game. Artur Boruc, the Polish goalkeeper, was accused of inciting violence and angering rival supporters by making the gesture in front of Rangers fans at Ibrox stadium in Glasgow.

The Crown Office's decision to give him an official warning has provoked a strong reaction, with politicians and church leaders saying it will make Scotland the 'laughing stock of the world' as players often cross themselves in football grounds. Boruc was cautioned for a breach of the peace after complaints were made by Rangers fans following the game in February.

Rangers being a "protestant" team, Celtic being the "Catholic" team.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X