By Not Destroying the World. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By Not Destroying the World. . .

even though we have the capability to do it, are we not truly as powerful as we think? Could it be that we are not the dominant species?

Certainly you must agree that the most dominant species should be able to wipe the floor with all the other species. Humans seem to have the ability to do this. However, they are not doing it, of their own will at least. That they won't do it speaks to the species' inability to do it. Sure physically there may be nothing to stop us. But can't social, emotional and mental (logical) barriers be counted as well? As long as we are held back by these barriers, we can not claim to be the dominant species on this planet.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Unless some other species is doing more of it than we are, I don't see how your logic holds, good sir.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It's not about more or less. It's about do or die.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well we are killing off other species at an ever increasing rate, I would say the tought counts for something.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

That's part of my argument. There is no thought. We're just killing them for profit or by accident; not just because we can.
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Strange argument.

Why would we deliberately destroy the world because we can do it? We know we can do it. It's not like we need empiric evidence for that. Other barriers than physical ones exist, but in a given situation all hell could break loose, however improbable that may be.
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I don't think we can because we don't.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

We didn't even attempt to destroy the moon or some other planet to demonstrate those nazicommie aliens who the big guys are in this universe, so I think you have a point
                Blah

Comment

You made a mistake they aren't nazicommie, they're commienazi!
                  Last edited by Heraclitus; May 25, 2008, 11:10.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Splitter!
                    Blah

Comment

Working...
                    X