Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Nail in the Coffin for a "Different Kind of Politics"? Teamsters and Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nail in the Coffin for a "Different Kind of Politics"? Teamsters and Obama

Pandering to the Teamsters is about as "old politics" as you can get:

Sen. Barack Obama won the endorsement of the Teamsters earlier this year after privately telling the union he supported ending the strict federal oversight imposed to root out corruption, according to officials from the union and the Obama campaign.
    Sen. Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton, has declined to take a stance on Teamsters oversight.
    But John Coli, vice president for the Teamsters central region, who brokered the Teamsters endorsement, said Sen. Obama was "pretty definitive that the time had come to start the beginning of the end" of the three-member independent review board that investigates suspect activity in the union. Mr. Coli said that Sen. Obama conveyed that view in a series of phone conversations and meetings with Teamsters officials last year.

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor confirmed the candidate's position in a statement to The Wall Street Journal, saying that Sen. Obama believes that the board "has run its course," because "organized crime influence in the union has drastically declined." Mr. Vietor said Sen. Obama took that position last year.
    So much for special interests, eh?

Ecce! Bossa nova, similis bossa seneca...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

What does Jimmi Hoffa say about it?

Teamsters.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

How many endoresments from groups such as the teamsters has Obama won so far on the election trail?
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Is it actually a form of entertainment to see if you can have the last post in every thread? Can a human be that bored?
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Actually I don;t even want it anymore, I just want a decent conversation but there is no one around. This way I might start something.

Comment

Working...
              X