I need Lawyal help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wittlich

An that is why they have you over a barrel now.

You have no legal recourse at this point in the game.
    Except I'm with NYE on this one -- some talks have to have taken place, or those programmers never would have been hired. And if talks got to the hiring programmers stage without money ever being mentioned, then the boss can plausibly maintain that he was promised the application for free.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

How about you go to a lawyer and find out?
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Ah, but how much control is it really?

Have you tested it? Do you know your limits?

If not, I would suggest that you test your "powers" now just to see were you lay with the rest of the "herd."
        Last edited by Wittlich; May 5, 2008, 04:07.

Comment

Make sure that in the program, whenever it calculates % of pennies that it just rounds down and deposits the remainder into a dedicated bank account you have access to. This always works!

Comment

Spoken like a true Accountant Aeson!

Comment

Aeson, not a very smart choice
              be free

Comment

Clearly, singapore law (or wherever you work) is important here, if there are differences from US/etc. laws. In US law, you'd be pretty much screwed; not only does it sound like you've gone further than you say you have, in terms of offering them the application etc., but most contracts would include IP rights to anything work related - and even if they only included 'while at work', it wouldn't be hard for them to suggest you clearly did spend some work time on this (if only in making it compatible with their needs, thinking or somesuch).

You certainly could talk to a lawyer about it, but assuming you prefer to keep your job etc., it's probably better just to suck it up and ask for a raise instead...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
                  He gave me the control
                  Seems reasonable. Now I hope you will be reasonable back, and don't hold them over a barrel. As Aristotle said, holding to your absolute right is often a bad thing to do. Sometimes you need to be equitable rather than just.

That is something that needs to be taught in every business ethics class.
                  Last edited by Agathon; May 5, 2008, 10:09.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                    Spoken like a true Accountant Aeson!
                    Nah, he saw Superman 3.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Six big devils from Japan quickly forgot how to waltz.

Last edited by FrostyBoy; May 6, 2008, 04:13.
                      be free

Comment

Nice

Rather than Civ5, though, you need to start the Col2 production
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: I need Lawyal help.

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
                          Seriously, here is my current situation:

Some background info
                          1. I work for a Travel Agency in Singapore
                          2. I have been here for 3 years and am well positioned.
                          3. I have solely designed (that means, thought up every feature, design, interface structure, etc) a web-based application designed to cover all of the companies daily management. It is quite a powerful application, I have only come across one like it before and it is not as good as the one I have designed.
                          4. I designed the application on my own time, I did not do it during office hours.
                          5. I was not appointed to build this by my boss, I did this on my own free will.
                          6. The application is copyright to me.

Now the situation has come, where we are now employing a bunch of programmers to build this application.

Once finished and made live on the Internet, all hotel bookings that are made through this new application, will generate revenue for us, a turnover well into the millions per year. My question at this point, is that shouldn't I recieve a certain % of this revenue, considering that this is MY application. The tricky part here is that I am an employee of this company (and a loyal one, friends with the boss, etc).

So in the world of business, what should I do?
                          Why do you even bother pretending you work in the computer gaming industry if you're not going to keep your lies consistent across Apolyton sub-forums?

Edit: And what do you mean you "designed" the application -- you're a graphic arts. Drawing the interface and designing applications are majorly different things.
                          Last edited by Asher; May 5, 2008, 11:06.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Nah, he saw Superman 3.

ACK!

Office Space
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Except I'm with NYE on this one -- some talks have to have taken place, or those programmers never would have been hired. And if talks got to the hiring programmers stage without money ever being mentioned, then the boss can plausibly maintain that he was promised the application for free.
                              Not sure why you guys are taking him seriously, just the other month he was waxing about how he professionally works in the computer gaming industry in Other Games.

Now it sounds like he drew some pictures for an interface for a hotel and he's claiming he "designed the application" when it's quite clear the application itself isn't designed or even implemented. This is a disconnect he's displayed before, he doesn't comprehend the difference in role between a graphics artist, computer programmer, and software architect.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                                Nah, he saw Superman 3.

ACK!
                                Originally posted by LordShiva

Office Space
                                I saw them both!

Comment

Working...
                                X