Should Horse Racing Be Put Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Horse Racing Be Put Down?

Yesterday was the Kentucky Derby. Did anybody besides Oerdin get sloshed on mint juleps while watching it?

The story wasn't so much the winner, as the first loser, filly Eight Belles, who broke two ankles while crossing the finish line and was euthanized on the track. This comes two years after Barbaro met a similar fate, albeit in the comfort of his stall rather than on the track. An ignoble end for two magnificent beasts.

Horse racing, similar to boxing, has increasingly become a niche "sport". A relic of a past where men were men and women wore exceedingly large hats. Should horse racing be put out of its misery like its two recent high profile victims? Aren't there enough other outlets for gambling that we don't need to watch midgets whip horses for two minutes?

Yes-While there may be occasional accidents, they serve to keep the price of glue and dog food down
    36.36%
    No-Horses are best left to give small girls and crack whores needing money "rides"
    45.45%
    I'm a banana jockey
    18.18%

Why do they keep euthanizing horses over minor injuries anyway? Obviously it would never be able to race again even if the broken ankles could eventually heal with top-notch veterinary care, but putting it out to stud would still turn a hefty profit. It just seems like an absurd waste.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
      putting it out to stud would still turn a hefty profit.
      A family of weak-ankled sissies, more like it
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Well they could at least make for some tasty Big Macs
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Why do they keep euthanizing horses over minor injuries anyway? Obviously it would never be able to race again even if the broken ankles could eventually heal with top-notch veterinary care, but putting it out to stud would still turn a hefty profit. It just seems like an absurd waste.
          From what I recall after the Barbarro incident, injuries like these are pretty much fatal to the horse. Its just a matter of time before their legs go gimp and they die of some kind of infection.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Well they could at least make for some tasty Big Macs
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

What the hell was evolution thinking designing such a feeble creature? We seem to deal with broken ankles just fine.

And even a multiple-amputee stud can still produce stellar offspring. Anyone see that movie Kingpin?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Sheesh. This is why I shouldn't make polls, I got my options mixed up.

ugh.

I fail at the internet

Comment

this wasn't a minor injury for the horse, and She was in severe pain. We can deal with a broken ankle, but the horse needs a leg to stand on. She was clearly drugged up, and her trainer was pushing her far more then she should have been pushed. In any event the amount of people going to horse racing has gone way down, and it will eventually die on its own.

Comment

Big macs
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

...I fail at the internet
                      Allow me to mercifully euthanize you.

Comment

yeah, but painfully...
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Allow me to mercifully euthanize you.
                          thanks?

Comment

Thoroughbred racing is a perfectly fine spectator sport. It's no better or worse than say, dressage or harness racing. It's certainly not cockfighting or bullfighting. Injuries happen, but that happens in every sport. It's certainly more interesting than NASCAR, and there are a lot less rednecks.

Note: I am biased. It's a hometown sport
                            Last edited by Timexwatch; May 4, 2008, 22:45.
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

I am more interested in the glue than the big macs.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X