Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama unstoppable, wins... Guam!

Obama takes Guam from Clinton by seven votes: officials

HAGATNA, Guam (AFP) — Barack Obama beat Hillary Clinton in the Guam caucuses in the Democratic White House battle by a mere seven votes, local party officials said Sunday.

After a marathon all-night counting session, Obama won 14 of the 21 districts in the remote US territory and finished with 2,264 votes to 2,257 for Clinton.

Voter turnout was 25 percent higher than the 4,000 party officials expected on Saturday as the tiny Pacific island grasped its one opportunity to influence the presidential outcome.

The island's residents, while US citizens, cannot vote in November's presidential election.

Party officials said many people had registered as Democrats at the caucus sites around the island, prompting the tag "Democrats for a day."

"There are many new Democrats today," the chairman of the Democratic nominating committee Herbie Perez said.

"I am so surprised. I never thought it would be like this."

The outcome rested on Dededo, the island's most populated community and the final village to be counted, and where Clinton had strong support from the predominantly Filipo-American community.

She trailed Obama by 203 votes before counting began in Dededo where officials said several spoiled ballots were rejected.

Although Guam offers only four delegate votes, each is now crucial to the Democratic White House battle, in which Obama leads Clinton by a narrow margin estimated at 1,742 delegates to 1,599.

Neither Obama nor Clinton visited Guam ahead of the vote but both vowed to address local issues, such as the relocation of 8,000 Marines from Okinawa in Japan and war reparation claims.

Guam, a US territory since 1898, rarely steps into the limelight of US politics as it lies on the other side of the international dateline. The island has about 48,000 registered voters.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

"The island's residents, while US citizens, cannot vote in November's presidential election."

Why this?
    Blah

Comment

the US has a tradition in having second-class citizens
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Also, the Electoral College is completely insane.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Obama leads Clinton by a narrow margin estimated at 1,742 delegates to 1,599
          A 157 delegate lead doesn't seem very narrow to me when Obama is just 282 delegates away from the goal of having half the delegates...
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

It's not a state.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Can statehood be taken away from Texas?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                "The island's residents, while US citizens, cannot vote in November's presidential election."

Why this?
                Only residents of the 50 states get to vote in nation elections (each territory does have a non-voting member of the house). In exchange, US citizens that are residents of US territories don't have to pay federal taxes.
                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                The video may avatar is from

Comment

Thx
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Will

Only residents of the 50 states get to vote in nation elections (each territory does have a non-voting member of the house). In exchange, US citizens that are residents of US territories don't have to pay federal taxes.
                    Ummmmmm DC residents need to pay federal taxes
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

In Finland they're called taxis
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Ummmmmm DC residents need to pay federal taxes
                        You get to experience the warm glow of the prez.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

If I were Hillary, I would use this defeat as a way to save face about stepping out of the race. Teh peoples have spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                            In Finland they're called taxis
                            In Germany, they're called HeiligesDeutschesKaiserreich Steuer!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                              Can statehood be taken away from Texas?

I wish. How about we just give it back?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X