McCain Implies Iraq War is for Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain Implies Iraq War is for Oil

And then when later questioned to clarify the statement he said that he was only talking about the first Gulf War.

Wow, this election campaigning is ****ing amazing.

I'm going to save this for my some to show him if he ever starts trusting the government when it says they need him to fight for freedom.

UPDATE BELOW: McCain stumbles trying to explain his comments...

During a town hall event in Colorado today, John McCain "decried the dangers of Americans reliance on foreign oil," but "also seemed to suggest that this reliance caused the current struggle in Iraq."

Here's what he said:

My friends, I will have an energy policy that we will be talking about, which will eliminate our dependence on oil from the Middle East that will - that will then prevent us - that will prevent us from having ever to send our young men and women into conflict again in the Middle East.

Adam Aigner-Treworgy of NBC/National Journal has more:

This comment was initially prompted by a compliment from a military veteran who stated that he hoped a group called "Swift Boats for McCain come out and help" the GOP nominee. McCain then launched into an unprompted defense of the DNC campaign against him based on his 100-year statement.

"You have seen an ad campaign that is mounted against me that says I wanted to stay and fight in Iraq for 100 years," McCain said to a crowd at a Jewish Community Center. "My friends, it's a direct falsification, and I'm sorry that political campaigns have to deteriorate in this fashion because there's legitimate differences between myself and Senator Obama and Senator Clinton on what we should do in Iraq. After we win the war in Iraq ... then I'm talking about a security arrangement that may or may not be the same kind of thing we have with South - with Korea."

Of note -- McCain didn't object to the audience member's suggestion that a so-called 'swift boat' group help him win the presidency. Instead, he thanked the man for his good wishes and his military service.

Later on Friday McCain sought to clarify the remarks he made earlier in the day about the Iraq war and oil. From the AP:

"No, no, I was talking about that we had fought the Gulf War for several reasons," McCain told reporters.

One reason was Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait, he said. "But also we didn't want him to have control over the oil, and that part of the world is critical to us because of our dependency on foreign oil, and it's more important than any other part of the world," he said.

"If the word `again' was misconstrued, I want us to remove our dependency on foreign oil for national security reasons, and that's all I mean," McCain said.

"The Congressional Record is very clear: I said we went to war in Iraq because of weapons of mass destruction," he said.

UPDATE: So, McCain's defense of his comments was that he was really talking about the first Gulf War. "But then when specifically asked by an Associated Press reporter if, when he made the statement, he was 'thinking about the first Gulf War,' he said no." Huh?

"No, I was thinking about - it's not hard to - we will not," McCain stumbled. "By eliminating our dependency on foreign oil, we will not have to have our national security threatened by a cut off of that oil. Because we will be dependent, because we won't be dependent, we will no longer be dependent on foreign oil. That's what my remarks were."

He was sure to emphasize over and over again that the reason he supported the War in Iraq was because he "believed that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and he was going to use them."

McCain said "the congressional record is replete with that and for me to change my view, how many years later, I mean would, just wouldn't be logical."
    McCain:War for Oil
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

???

Comment

Well, he's right.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And a lot of people thought they were dying for freedom. I think that's pretty ****ing bad.

Comment

I think everyone knew that one of the big reasons we bailed out Kuwait was due to the issues of oil.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

For that matter, one could even believe the current war is for freedom/security/whathaveyou and also concede that we wouldn't really be concerned about freedom/security/whathaveyou in Iraq or anywhere in the Middle East were it not for oil making it a generally important part of the world, without necessarily being inconsistent.

That part of the world (with the exception of Suez) would simply be a backward non-factor were there no oil, so it wouldn't be a place worth "giving" freedom/security/whathaveyou to.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: McCain Implies Iraq War is for Oil

Originally posted by Kidicious
                I'm going to save this for my some to show him if he ever starts trusting the government when it says they need him to fight for freedom.
                I thought you trusted the government with your health???

Comment

We do need to be able to shut off the flow of dollars to arabs for oil. If there were no oil there we might have bothered to tell Iraq they shouldn't have invaded Kuwait, but that's about it. Having arab countries able to turn off the oil puts too much power in their hands. Of course, we could also shut off the cotton to them...
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    I think everyone knew that one of the big reasons we bailed out Kuwait was due to the issues of oil.

You think a lot of strange things Imran. I can tell you that everyone did not believe. In fact, people on this website did not believe. It's totally reasonable to assume that someone, especially an 18 year old would not believe that, when their leaders, including teachers, have filled their heads with a bunch of nonsense about america standing for principles like freedom and equality of all.

Comment

What really bothers me is the lying. It's one thing to kill for oil. It's quite another thing to exploit the trust that good people have in you, to tell them a lie, to get them to fight and die for oil, so that you can have more wealth and power.

If the US is that nation, and it is, we certainly do deserve 9-11 and more. 9-11 was self-defense, because we lie, and kill for oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                        You think a lot of strange things Imran. I can tell you that everyone did not believe. In fact, people on this website did not believe. It's totally reasonable to assume that someone, especially an 18 year old would not believe that, when their leaders, including teachers, have filled their heads with a bunch of nonsense about america standing for principles like freedom and equality of all.
                        A vast majority of folks on this site realize that the only reason the ME matters is because of oil. If they didn't have oil, we'd not care one lick about the region and wouldn't enter into alliances with country's there.

Comment

A vast majority of folks on this site realize that the only reason the ME matters is because of oil. If they didn't have oil, we'd not care one lick about the region and wouldn't enter into alliances with country's there.
                          That's the long and short of it

Originally posted by Darius871
                          we wouldn't really be concerned about freedom/security/whathaveyou in Iraq or anywhere in the Middle East were it not for oil making it a generally important part of the world, without necessarily being inconsistent.

That part of the world (with the exception of Suez) would simply be a backward non-factor were there no oil, so it wouldn't be a place worth "giving" freedom/security/whathaveyou to.
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

*countries
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't think is true in a strict sense. A Middle East without oil probably would still be a tinderbox. We are heavily involved with Egypt, as just one example of a non-oil producing state with which we have broad interests.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X