Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official, Hell has Frozen Over.

[q=BBC]Johnson wins London mayoral race

Boris Johnson has won the race to become the next mayor of London - ending Ken Livingstone's eight-year reign at City Hall.

The Conservative candidate won with 1,168,738 first and second preference votes, compared with Mr Livingstone's 1,028,966.

Mr Johnson thanked his family, party activists for their help in a "marathon election".

He is expected to stand down as MP for Henley, triggering a by-election.

He paid tribute to Mr Livingstone for shaping the office of mayor and speaking for London after the 7 July bombings, saying he had the "thanks and admiration of millions of Londoners".

Mr Johnson's victory crowns the party's May Day local election wins in England and Wales. He said he hoped it showed the Conservatives had changed "into a party that can be trusted".

Mr Livingstone's defeat ends what Gordon Brown has called as a "bad" day for Labour in which it suffered its worst council results for 40 years.

Mr Livingstone thanked Londoners "who have supported me today" and those who gave him their second preference votes.

He said the Labour Party had come together "in an amazing and disciplined way" from Gordon Brown down to the newest member.

He said he was sorry he could not get the few percentage points needed to win - and said the fault "is solely my own".

He thanked his staff who had helped him "restore city government" and had put London on the path to being the "greatest city of the 21st Century". [/q]

OMFG. This was the real test as to how much Labour was and is hated by the public. Boris ****ing Johnson is the Mayor of London....good lord, they'll move the capital to Manchester by the end of the year...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Why do you only have nutcases to vote for?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I don't think nutcase is the right word.

Something that means dim and naive is probably about right.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

[q=BBC analysis]
        Analysis: Boris's big win

By Sean Curran
        Political correspondent, BBC News

Boris Johnson

Crikey! Boris Johnson is London Mayor.

The Conservative MP and journalist now has the biggest personal mandate of any politician in the country.

Dismissed by political opponents and many in the media as little more than a music hall turn, he confounded his critics by running a gaffe-free election campaign.

This victory gives the Conservative Party a clean sweep: the largest share of the vote; the most councillors; and control of the capital.

At first glance the mayoral contest is of little relevance to people living and working outside London but the political parties and the media have invested it with a national significance.

Does Boris Johnson's success mean the country is ready to embrace David Cameron's Conservative Party?

It also vindicates Mr Cameron's decision to back a maverick candidate.

The test now is for Boris Johnson to deliver his policies on the bread and butter issues of transport and crime.

During the campaign the tousle-haired Old Etonian was restrained and professional.

Mr Johnson is now the national and international face of London, one of the world's greatest cities. He will now face media and political scrutiny

There was little evidence of the flamboyant Wodehousian personality that has won him lucrative work as a newspaper columnist and a berth on television quiz shows.

Has the old Boris gone forever? What happens if he returns? And what will it mean for David Cameron and the Conservatives?

The Tory leader does not want to spend the two years in the run-up to the next general election having to defend, or distance himself from, the London Mayor.

As Londoners prepared to vote The Guardian newspaper published a series of articles urging people to reject Mr Johnson.

Similar articles appeared in other papers. The warning was clear: you may think you are voting for a charming Bertie Wooster-like figure but in fact you are about to hand power to a less pleasant character.

This is moment to trot out what is perhaps the most famous journalistic cliché of all - only time will tell.

For now, though, Mr Johnson's win is a boost for the Conservatives that brings them one step closer to power. [/q]

Comment

I don´t see how conservatives are better than Labourists.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

It's not that they are better, it's that they are all pretty much equally bad, but Boris, as likeable as he is, is an absolute clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              It's not that they are better, it's that they are all pretty much equally bad, but Boris, as likable as he is, is an absolute clown.
              Reminds me of our current George Bush... I am glad to see that other countries vote bozos into power...
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Boris is different from Bush. Bush you laugh at out of nervousness for handing a lunatic so much power. Boris you just laugh at because he isa bumbling moron (end of the day, he can **** up a lot of civil stuff along with the Olympic games, which would be fun to watch from a safe distance, but he doesn't have any control over the army, foreign policy etc which is much more important).

Comment

Look on the bright side. If he really is so bumbling then maybe he'll have a tragic accident with a pencil sharpener or can opener or something.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                    I don´t see how conservatives are better than Labourists.
                    That does a lot to explain this result. I think the Scots will be taking a long look at these local election results. There's no reason for them to be part of a union that is so far to the right of them.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I (among alot of people it seems) hope they leave the union They can pay for their own crap instead of having England fill up any budget shortfalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                        Why do you only have nutcases to vote for?
                        Here's yet another case of you talking about things of which you don't know, Are you trying to be the next Mobius? Goals are good.
                        I wouldn't bring it up, had you not showed your ass in another thread.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sloww, please don't troll in my thread, start your own if you want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                            I (among alot of people it seems) hope they leave the union They can pay for their own crap instead of having England fill up any budget shortfalls.
                            They'll be glad to. The Republic of Ireland is already spanking Britain in standard of living. The difference between Dublin and London was marked on my last visit to both places. Part of the reason Scotland does badly and needs that crap is government neglect - the English have exploited and marginalized that country for far too long.

English rule is a cancer (and the rule of faux Scotsmen like Brown is just as bad). Actually let's be fair, southern English rule is a cancer. Northumberland and Cumbria and other areas would be better off going with the Scottish.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

it was 6am i had just return from a night out and bumped into a bbc news video that had his father proudly proclaiming that "Boris" hasnt drunk anything for 3 month. and thus this meant that he was "serious about it". WTF??
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X