Newfoundland seal hunters are finished for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfoundland seal hunters are finished for the season

They'll have to do their "clubbing" on land till next year.

Canada's seal hunt wraps up
    Posted Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:19am AEST

Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans has officially closed the last and largest phase of the seal hunt off Newfoundland and Labrador.

Officials say participation for this year's hunt was low, mainly because of the high price of fuel and the low price of pelts, which were selling for about half of what they were a year ago.

Hunting conditions were far from ideal, with heavy sea ice and snow hampering the sealers.

At least three boats were abandoned over the past week because of ice, and nearly a dozen others required assistance from the Canadian Coast Guard.

Federal officials say only about 80 per cent of this year's quota of 275,000 seals were taken.

Read the latest news headlines and in-depth analysis from an independent and trusted source. Check the latest news on business, sports, weather, and more.

Heartless barbarians.

*Wezil checks flag icon

Go Newfoundland!

I can't be bothered finding a pic.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Clubbing seals.

Club sandwiches.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If they were real men they'd try to club Navy Seals
      Blah

Comment

Why do I have a picture in my head of someone violently trying to open a letter?
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

They should expand their scope and start clubbing Quebecois.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And they only lost, what, three ships this year?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

look like a spaceship firing some laser...
              bleh

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                If they were real men they'd try to club Navy Seals

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                X