Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could it be that the english pronounce some vowels differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reds4ever

Funny you should say that. As a Brit I've noticed lots (but not all) of Scandanavians have an definate American accent.
    When I first visted Sweden in the 70's, most that I met spoke british english. Now I'd say it's more american english.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ecthy not understanden a question about beer

Though I remember the Berlin meet where I didn't understand much for the first 20-30 mins and just looked dumb. Later it was ok.
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so
        BTW, do Poly's non-native English speakers (not having lived in an English-speaking country) prefer British or American English? I personally find myself using American expressions & pronunciation whenever I have to use English, for reasons I'm myself not fully aware of... is it just the media or is American English somehow easier for speakers of some languages?
        You're EU, you should be using British English

Yeah, my accent is quite distinct from that of Dauphin or c0ckney (well, at the time of the last poly meet which had hin there anyway). I know Ecthy found it quite strange to switch between mine and Dauphin's accent. I am a Yorkshireman, but because of my city of origin, heavily permeated by Lincolnshire as well (I hate admitting to that fact, it is a hard thing for a Yorkshireman to do) and with the nature of it being a major port probably also influenced by other places like Scandinavia, Germany or The Netherlands (there is a Danish church located in the centre of Hull, which you wouldn't normally expect in a British city).

And then there have been other influences on my accent - 4 years studying in Oxford mixing with lots of Welsh and Scottish people, 4 years living back in Hull, and several years of that mixing with a lot of Mancunians. And now I've lived in London/Kent for 4 years...I've probably got some hideous mongrelised accent. There will be London/Estuary which everyone will be familiar with, then Hull (where, for example, phone would be pronounced more like fern with considerable dropping of leading h's - sounds very flat, not really much like the rest of Yorkshire at all, nor Lincolnshire for that matter.

People have great difficulty placing where I am from now. Some don't realise I am from somewhere else in the country, some think I am a Northerner but can't pinpoint it, and some think I am Welsh (?)...funny what living in multiple different places can do to you!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          where, for example, phone would be pronounced more like fern
          You do go all Trekkie when you ask for coke. "Can I have a Kirk please?"
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

You're EU, you should be using British English

Yeah, my accent is quite distinct from that of Dauphin or c0ckney (well, at the time of the last poly meet which had hin there anyway).
            Are you implying that I sound like c0ckney? I can't comment as I've never heard him speak, but I would highly doubt that I do.

Comment

Funny you say that, but yes Well I don't personally, I seem to have this somewhat less regional Northern accent.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I should go to the next poly meet so you can talk about my accent...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Pleaze comalong.

We would talk about LordShiva's accent, but he didn't speak the whole time he was at the meet.

Comment

My accent seems to change every time I move. At one point I had a noticeable Bostonian accent I keep meaning to pick up some sort of English accent (or more likely some bastardized mix of a variety of accents), though this is a bit harder when living in North America

I did once intentionally pick up a Quebec accent while speaking French to fit in, but subsequently dropped it because it sounds stupid.

By now most people have trouble placing my accent in most languages that I speak (though my Romanian accent is clearly a Bucharest accent).
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                    X