Going, going, gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going, going, gone

I think he continued straight up to heaven.

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A Roman Catholic priest is missing after floating away with hundreds of helium party balloons off the southern coast of Brazil.

Rescuers in helicopters and small fishing boats are searching off the coast of Santa Catarina state, where pieces of balloons were found. The priest lifted off from the port city of Paranagua on Sunday afternoon, wearing a helmet, a thermal suit and a parachute.

He was reported missing about eight hours later after losing contact with port authority officials.

A spokeswoman says the priest is an experienced skydiver and his supporters are certain he will be found alive and unhurt.

The priest was trying to break a 19-hour record for the most hours flying with balloons.

He was using the stunt to raise money for a spiritual rest-stop for truckers in Paranagua, Brazil's second-largest port for agricultural products.

A video posted on the G1 website of Globo TV shows the smiling 41-year-old priest - Rev. Adelir Antonio de Carli - slipping into a flight suit and being strapped to a seat attached to a huge column of green, red, white and yellow balloons.

He then soars into the air to the cheers of a crowd.

Denise Gallas, the treasurer of Carli's Sao Cristovao parish, said by telephone that the priest soared to an altitude of 6,000 metres then descended to about 2,500 metres for his planned flight to the city of Dourados, 750 kilometres northwest of his parish.

But winds pushed him in another direction, and Carli was some 50 kilometres off the coast when he last contacted Paranagua's port authority, Gallas said.

Carli had a GPS device, a satellite phone, a buoyant chair and is an experienced skydiver, Gallas said.

"We are absolutely confident he will be found alive and well, floating somewhere in the ocean," she said.

"He knew what he was doing and was fully prepared for any kind of mishap."

Some adventurers have used helium balloons to emulate Larry Walters, who in 1982 rose about five kilometres above Los Angeles in a lawn chair lifted by balloons.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

the priests at my church aren't that fun.
    that is silly.

Comment

Safer than strapping rockets to your chair...right?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

spiritual truck stop eh?

Wonder what kind of lot lizards congregate there...
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
          spiritual truck stop eh?

Wonder what kind of lot lizards congregate there...
          spread teh werd, eh?

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

God will protect him
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

He'll be shot down by the DEA over the border after refusing to land at the nearest airport.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

He has already "landed" Lancer.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No sign of the priest and the search has been called off.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Found

The hopes of parishioners for the survival of the Brazilian priest who went missing while attempting a world ballooning record have been shattered after his body was found in the sea.

A corpse was discovered by tugboat workers off the coast of Rio de Janeiro earlier this month, and police said today that DNA results confirmed it was Reverend Adelir Antonio di Carli.

Father di Carli went missing three months ago when he took off from the Brazilian port city of Paranagua while strapped to 1,000 coloured helium balloons.

The 41-year-old Roman Catholic priest was attempting to break a 19-hour flight record to raise money for a spiritual rest stop and worship centre for truckers in his local area.
                    Related Links

* Priest lost at sea after ballooning event goes wrong

The cleric was last heard of soon after his departure when he called friends to say he was crashing into the ocean.

A cluster of yellow, orange, pink and white balloons was found in the shark-infested waters a day later.

At the time of his disappearance, Father di Carli, an experienced adventurer, was carrying enough drinking water and cereal bars to stay alive for at least five days as well as a GPS device, satellite phone and buoyancy chair.

For several days after the priest's disappearance, rescue crews in boats, planes and helicopters scoured a vast stretch of ocean and densely forested mountains.

Church-goers from his Sao Cristovao parish had maintained a vigil for Father di Carli and prayed for his survival.

His brother, Moacir de Carli, yesterday said the news of his death came as a relief.

“Now we can have a respectable burial service,” he told the Agencia Estado news service.

Comment

Pretty odd. We'll never know what went wrong.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Pretty odd. We'll never know what went wrong.
                        Yeah -- strapping yourself to a hundred or so kid's party balloons -- what could possibly go awry?
                        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

DEA 1, Priests 0.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Have you noticed that religious people seem to die very often in "unjust ways"? Church rampages to church bus accidents to missionaries being captured and executed to priests who fall from the heavens attached to thousands of balloons...God is trying to tell them something.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"Die young and make a beautiful corpse"?
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X