Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Cloned Killer Puppies Report for Training

Cloned Sniffer Dogs Report for Training

Six white male dogs collectively named Toppy reported for duty at a training facility for sniffer dogs run by the Korea Customs Service in Yeongjongdo, Incheon on Thursday morning. Chase, the father of the dogs, and his six sons look exactly the same -- because the sons were cloned, born to surrogate mothers via the transfer of the nucleui of Chase’s somatic cells. The cloning project was carried out by a team of Seoul National University veterinarians led by Lee Byeong-chun -- a member of the disgraced cloning expert Hwang Woo-suk’s team, who was believed to have invented the method.

Seven cloned puppies were born in October and November last year to three surrogate mothers, but as one injured his leg, he missed Thursday’s training session. The Toppies have passed the first round of tests, for behavioral patterns and genetic qualities that would make them good drug-sniffer dogs. They will now be trained to distinguish the smell of various types of drugs until June next year.

“Toppy” is a compound name meaning “tomorrow’s puppy”; the Toppies are numbered one to seven to tell them apart. Since the Labrador Retriever father has a reputation for being one of the best sniffing dogs at Gunsan Customs, an official at the training center said the Toppies too have great potential to be the best in the field. Chase and the Toppies do not know that they are family, so they growl at each other whenever they meet, the official said.

The Korea Customs Service commissioned the cloning project because they thought that training clones of an effective sniffer dog would be easier than training ordinary dogs, which may or may not have the right genetic makeup for the job. A total budget of 300 million (US1$=W992) was required to clone the seven dogs. But because it was a nationally funded research project, the Korea Customs Service did not have to pay for anything. However, if it wants to keep to Toppies, it will have to pay SNU W70 million for each of them.

Last edited by MarkG; April 22, 2008, 02:41.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I'll believe it when I see DNA tests done by someone who's not part of Korea's corrupt academic establishment.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Dogs
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'd like it if they wouldn't try to make English words by combining them.

"Toppy"? WTF?
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
          I'll believe it when I see DNA tests done by someone who's not part of Korea's corrupt academic establishment.
          How is North Korea by comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV

Well, they don't have Big Science, for what it's worth.
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV

They don't have enough money to fake the results well

Seriously though, the university systems in a lot of East Asian nations are absolute garbage, its probably the one biggest thing holding back a lof of the countries over here despite some impressive successes in other areas.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I just noticed the avatar, Bosh.

I lol'd. I couldn't convince my extended relatives that there really wasn't anything to fear from a fan, and they're highly educated and modern, too.
                B♭3

Comment

I still remember visiting my greatgrandmother in minnesota (She died a couple years ago). She had a fan...

It was a very old fan. Metal, with large gaps in the mesh. Totally wrecked my finger, I had to go to the ER and get a lot of stitches. I have been a bit more careful about fans since.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ah, no. There's a persistent belief in Korea that if you leave a fan (or AC. Not Alinestra, but air conditioning.) running while you sleep, it'll some blow the life out of you or some such.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      Ah, no. There's a persistent belief in Korea that if you leave a fan (or AC. Not Alinestra, but air conditioning.) running while you sleep, it'll some blow the life out of you or some such.
                      Explanations I've heard from that:
                      1. Fans can make you have hypothermia in the summer. (this one is probably the most common)
                      2. Fans can make the air "disappear"
                      3. Fans can make the air blow past your nose so fast that you can't breathe it.
                      4. Fans blow viruses into you.
                      5. If the fan is on you can't breathe fresh air.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

but do you leave a fan running while you sleep?
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You can get a cold from overuse of AC in the summer (not Alinestra, that's a different disease ) because colds arise from overly dry air (not temperature).
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

"Chase and the Toppies do not know that they are family, so they growl at each other whenever they meet, the official said."

You would think they would have identical scents...
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                            X