F-117A retires today, 27 years in service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-117A retires today, 27 years in service

And still more awesome than anything Russia has ever done!

Holloman bids farewell to F117
    By The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 04/19/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE — Holloman Air Force Base will say farewell Monday to the F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter, which the nation is retiring from its arsenal after 27 years.

The angular black radar-evading planes are being put in mothballs.

The last F-117s scheduled to fly will leave Holloman on Monday, then stop in Palmdale, Calif., for another retirement ceremony before arriving at their final destination — Tonopah Test Range Airfield in Nevada, where the fighter made its first flight in 1981.

Holloman's ceremony will include a four-plane flyby, the last opportunity to see the stealths in the air over New Mexico, said Alan Ponder, media liaison for the base's 49th Fighter Wing.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, which managed the F-117 program, held an informal, private retirement ceremony last month.

Holloman had been the only base to have the stealths since the squadron moved in mid-1992 to southern New Mexico from Tonopah.

The Air Force decided to accelerate the F-117s' retirement to free funding to modernize the rest of the fleet. The Nighthawk is being replaced by the F-22 Raptor, which also has stealth technology.

The technology used on the F-117 was developed in the 1970s to help evade enemy radar. While not invisible to radar, the plane's shape and coating greatly reduced its detection.

The single-seat aircraft was designed to fly into heavily defended areas undetected. Fifty-nine F-117s were made.

/me salute.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

F-117A

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Comment

For youse retirement:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I went out to Holloman late last year for an air show and saw the bird.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, well, I saw it in the late 90s at an air show in California. So there, Danny boy, so there.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I think it's the ugliest plane that ever flew, but a technical achievement nonetheless

Comment

I find "ugly" planes tend to be the sexiest. I love the F-117A and the A-10.

Comment

I'd drive A-10 to disco any day

Comment

The A-10 is definitely one badass lookin' plane.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The A-10 kicks ass

Comment

Comment

Comment

If it's used as a stealth bomber in civ2, it's good enough for me
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

The stealth bomber in Civ 2 is a B-2 Spirit not an F-117.

Comment

Working...
                              X