Book Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Recommendations

I like to read non-fiction while flying back and forth and I'm looking for book recommendations.

Some recent authors I've read include

Prof Bernard lewis - Middle Eastern History
    Christopher Hitchens - various -
    Edmund Morris - Roosevelt and Dutch - has anyone read his book about Beethoven?
    Last edited by SpencerH; April 21, 2008, 08:10.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

If you're into classics, you can't go wrong with Le rouge et le noir by Stendhal.

Edit: damn, just realized you said non-fiction.
    Last edited by Fake Boris; April 21, 2008, 09:09.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I think the last non-fiction book I read was "Blackwater", and I highly recommend it. I also read "1776" by McCulloch before that, which was excellent.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

All my books are in storage in another country - but, the a book entitled "A Higher Form of Killing" - which is a history of chemical and biological warfare.

It is a fascinating read - non judgemental -very objective - and quite horrifying.
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Also - "The lost Executioner" - the story of a Khmer Rouge executioner.

A brilliant read.

Sorry for not being able to supply Authors.
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I've enjoyed a few books by Ross King - Bruneschelli's dome etc.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Imperial Presidency by Savage? was one of the 'recent' non-academic non-fiction non-religious books I have read.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I think the last non-fiction book I read was "Blackwater", and I highly recommend it. I also read "1776" by McCulloch before that, which was excellent.
                The reviews of Blackwater suggested it was a leftie smear, so I'll pass on that. If my life had taken another route I might have been working for them now

1776 looks like a very interesting book with the bonus that if I like it, there are a bunch more by the same historian. Thanks
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  Imperial Presidency by Savage? was one of the 'recent' non-academic non-fiction non-religious books I have read.

JM

I believe I stated "non-fiction"

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                    All my books are in storage in another country - but, the a book entitled "A Higher Form of Killing" - which is a history of chemical and biological warfare.

It is a fascinating read - non judgemental -very objective - and quite horrifying.

Also - "The lost Executioner" - the story of a Khmer Rouge executioner.

A brilliant read.
                    Interesting choices Thanks

Comment

I'm in the middle of Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid. My mind has been blown and reformed many a time.
                      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                      X