• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrest Grows Over Government Plan to Kick the Working Poor

from the times

Gordon Brown cornered as rebellion over 10p tax reform grows

Aides threaten to quit, secret list of rebel MPs

Gordon Brown faced new threats of resignations from his government this weekend as the rebellion over his decision to scrap the 10p income tax band escalated.

Yesterday five more ministerial aides broke cover to criticise his decision, with one declaring publicly that he is considering quitting. Others are known to be threatening to resign.

Amid signs of panic and confusion within the Treasury, the prime minister was also hit by the unprecedented leak of a secret file drawn up by his own whips about rebels opposing his terror reforms. The document shows that more than 50 MPs, including 10 former ministers, are expected to vote against government plans to allow detention without trial for 42 days.

The file reveals that even backbenchers and members of the government who are prepared to vote for the changes privately believe that the proposals are “barmy” and “plucked out of thin air”. At least one government minister and six ministerial aides have grave concerns about the measure.

The immediate crisis facing Brown centres on his abolition of the 10p tax rate, a move which has left more than 5m of the poorest households in Britain worse off. He is becoming increasingly frustrated by the controversy, privately claiming that the critics are wrong. Behind the scenes last week he is said to have been shaking with anger while defending the measure, blaming his own backbenchers for failing to explain the policy more effectively to their constituents.

Five ministerial aides publicly criticised the policy last week while a sixth, Angela Smith, was prevented from resigning only after a personal appeal from Brown. Yesterday five more parliamentary private secretaries (PPSs) joined the attack. Several others are voicing serious concerns in private.

Derek Wyatt, a junior aide to Margaret Hodge, a culture minister, said: “I’ve had virulent e-mails from my constituents saying they feel betrayed and deserted. They say they will never vote for Labour again. I have thought about resigning, yes. The government has time yet, so it’s too early to say. But I’ve taken soundings from my local party and yes, many of us do feel this is a betrayal of our core beliefs.”

The Institute for Fiscal Studies calculates that the biggest losers from the policy are those earning between about £5,000 and £18,000. Worst affected are single working people without children, low-earning couples without children and tax-paying women between 60 and 64 - groups which do not benefit from tax credits.

Wyatt, the MP for Sittingbourne and Sheppey, said: “That is serious. It’s not what this party is meant to be all about. I have no time for the idea [that] this can’t be fixed.”

Another PPS labelled the decision to scrap the 10p rate as a “bizarre mistake”. In a sign of Brown’s diminishing authority, two aides publicly questioned the entire thinking behind the budget.

Russell Brown, a junior aide to Des Browne, the defence secretary, said: “We’ve got to find a way to sort out this mess. We need to take this whole fiscal package, which was meant to be revenue neutral, and put it back together again. Questions will be asked as to how the government got it so badly wrong.”

John Mann, an aide to Tessa Jowell, the Olympics minister who has herself called for a rethink, said: “I’ll be making my case very strongly and forcefully to the chancellor at the next budget. A good budget should reward work. Some people on low incomes have lost out this time and I hope we can put that right at the next budget. The 10p tax rate is not the only issue, there are also taxable allowances and finances that need to be looked at as part of the package.”

The abolition of the 10p income tax rate, which came into effect this financial year, was announced by Brown in his last budget; at the time it was masked by his trumpeting of a 2p cut from the basic rate of income tax. It comes as the government has offered concessions to wealthy “nondoms” after an outcry from them.

The 10p measure will be debated in the Commons on Monday, with a crunch vote the following week. Alistair Darling, the chancellor, hopes to avoid a humiliating defeat by persuading rebels that he will change the policy as soon as the global economic situation allows. Yesterday Yvette Cooper, his chief secretary, defended the policy, insisting the government was doing everything possible.

However, Rob Marris, an aide to Shaun Woodward, the Northern Ireland secretary, said: “I hope the government has a rethink and looks at ways to compensate those who have been adversely affected by these measures. There’s no need to wait until the next budget.”

Another PPS said he regarded the controversy as a “core issue” and would consider resigning if no concessions are made. Angela Eagle, the junior Treasury minister, has suggested that the government might review the policy; two government figures linked to the Treasury have privately expressed their concerns to The Sunday Times, adding to the impression of a split inside the Treasury itself.

Last night Darling’s aides denied that his own team were unhappy. A spokeswoman said: “He has not had a single representation from anyone in the Treasury about the policy.”

However, a senior Labour peer warned that the government was in deep trouble over the measure. Lord Lipsey, an economist, said: “Any government that loses the power to set taxation is finished. There is no way of getting out of this that is a) affordable, b) workable and c) avoids total humiliation.”

David Miliband, the foreign secretary, admitted Labour is now the "political underdog," adding: "We need to put up a fight."

Many backbenchers fear the issue has the potential to become as damaging to the party as the fallout from the infamous 75p rise in pensions in Brown’s budget of 1999. The derisory increase caused a ferocious backlash from pensioners and Brown was subsequently forced to spend billions repairing the damage with measures such as the winter fuel allowance.
    under new labour effectively, doubling the tax rate of people on low incomes is not a problem. they even had the nerve to present it as a tax cut, which it is i suppose, unless you happen to be poor in the first place.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Some Labour party, eh?

Down with the man!!!
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

How Reaganesque.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, we need to fund the £100,000,000,000+ that will be used to "secure" the economy and save us from a recession.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Brown should have scrapped this at the slightest peep of trouble. Instead he's hanging on to a crumbling policy for no reason other than he's stubborn.

Comment

If these working poor put their money into a pension they could claim back the tax.

The whole thing could have been avoided by raising the PA sufficiently to offset most of the tax increase, and then raised it at a below inflation rate in future years like they normally do.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
              Brown should have scrapped this at the slightest peep of trouble. Instead he's hanging on to a crumbling policy for no reason other than he's stubborn.
              it's funny how they were able to climb down on non-doms but yet stand firm on this.

clearly, a few wealthy foreigners must be kept onside, but 5 million of us plebs can take a running jump. hopefully, young working people will remember the labour party’s attitude towards them on may 1st.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'm surprised that there is no statement of how much people are actually worse off compared to last year. But I guess around £3[maximum] a week isn't headline grabbing.

Comment

i heard about £200 a year. it doesn't sound like much, but it has to be seen in the context of the rising cost of living and increasing economic uncertainty.

your solution sounds elegant and sensible, which of course means there's no chance of it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                    i heard about £200 a year. it doesn't sound like much, but it has to be seen in the context of the rising cost of living and increasing economic uncertainty.
                    That's at the most - those on about £7.5k. Someone on £10k would be £150/year worse off. Someone on £15k would be about £60/year worse off. Someone on the ranges of £5.5k and £18k would be no worse off at all.

Comment

Those of us earning less than £5k are fine...
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I assume sarcasm...

That is to say, I wouldn't say it's fine, simply no worse off than before.

Comment

I could be the Chancellor:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Basic rate taxpayers to get £120

Chancellor Alistair Darling has put up the personal tax allowance by £600 - meaning anyone earning up to £40,835 will gain £120 this year.

Mr Darling's £2.7bn tax cut for this year came as part of measures to help those hit by the 10p tax rate's axing.

He told MPs he would lower the level at which 40p tax is paid - so higher earners did not gain from the change.

Tory George Osborne accused Mr Darling of "cynicism". Lib Dem Vince Cable feared it was a "short-term gimmick".

"Let no-one be fooled why you are making this statement today - not because you wanted to.... but because this divided, dithering and disintegrating government are panicking in the face of the Crewe and Nantwich by-election," the shadow chancellor said.

'Fairest way'

Mr Darling said the change was the "fairest and most effective way" to help those who lost out from the scrapping of the 10p tax rate.

He said it meant 22 million people on low and middle incomes would gain an additional £120 this year.

The money will come via a £60 lump sum in September pay packets, followed by a £10 monthly increase until the end of the year.

"At a cost of £2.7bn, I will increase the individual personal tax allowances by £600 to £6,035 for this financial year, benefiting all basic rate taxpayers under the age of 65," he said.

Of the 5.3 million households which had lost out from the scrapping of the 10p tax rate, 4.2m will receive as much or more than they lost when the 10p starting rate of tax was axed.

Field apology

Mr Darling added: "The remaining 1.1m households will see their loss at least halved.

"In other words, 80% of households are fully compensated, with the remaining 20% compensated by at least half.

"And in addition, 600,000 people on low incomes will be taken out of income tax altogether."

Mr Darling, whose announcement was greeted with cheers by Labour MPs, said the measures would be funded through borrowing so as not to take money out of the economy while it was slowing.

The abolition of the 10p tax was widely seen as one of the key factors in Labour's poor showing in this month's local council elections.

Labour backbenchers had been calling for the chancellor to spell out the compensation package ahead of next week's crunch Crewe & Nantwich by-election.

Mr Darling said he would be revealing his plans for further compensation beyond the current tax year in his pre-Budget report in the autumn.

Ex-minister Frank Field, who had led the rebellion against the scrapping of the 10p tax rate, welcomed the announcement and apologised for his remarks about the prime minister in a BBC interview on Sunday.

"Over the weekend I allowed my campaign to become personal. I much regret that and I apologise without reservation," he said.

Union welcome

Mr Darling replied: "It is not every day that honourable members have the courage to say what you said and it's appreciated."

Meanwhile, the unions welcomed the chancellor's tax allowance changes.

Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB, said: "The prime minister and chancellor are to be congratulated for listening to the public and changing tack on this."

Dave Prentis, general secretary of Unison, said: "This is a very welcome move. It shows that the prime minister is listening to the concerns of low paid workers who have lost out by the abolition of the 10p rate."

Tony Woodley, joint leader of Unite, added: "Reconnecting with Labour's social conscience in this way is a major step towards reconnecting with voters generally."

Comment

Working...
                          X