No announcement yet.

Would you have your finger cut if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deals with the Devil. Zip. Zero. Nada.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sure, as long as it was a textbook on 29th-centry prosthetics, and I could take it back with me.

Comment

which finger?
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Better question: Will the books will be in understandable english?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You'll have to cut-off a finger to know.

Feel like gambling?

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Gray's Sport Almanac
              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                Better question: Will the books will be in understandable english?
                Language, especially that of literary or scientific level, probably won't change much, unless AIs do wondrous things we can't even dare imagine...

Say it's a gamble. Do you do it anyway ?
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                  Language, especially that of literary or scientific level, probably won't change much, unless AIs do wondrous things we can't even dare imagine...

I disagree. I think it's extremely unlikely that 29th century English, even the scientific forms, would be understandable by someone today without a lot of study.

Comment

Spoken Latin evolved into regional dialects but the written form remained the same.

I'd say that a common trend we'll see is the disappearance of several languages, but those that remain, at least in their written form, would be highly standardized.

Comment

All books will be in lolspeak
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                        Spoken Latin evolved into regional dialects but the written form remained the same.

Latin is a special case, since it was carefully preserved in special institutions.

I'd say that a common trend we'll see is the disappearance of several languages, but those that remain, at least in their written form, would be highly standardized.

English, the most likely candidate, is notably not standardized.

Comment

Philosophers will see the light and call themselves "filosofizers".

Comment

English, the most likely candidate, is notably not standardized.
                            WTF are you on ? You practically can't distinguish an English from an American poster here, and that is in an informal context.

Comment

I meant formally standardized a la French.

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought.

My point is that English will be probably be spoken as a second language by most, and the need for standardization will inevitably arise. Heck, even now it's not like there are that many learning methods existing, and they all agree 99% of the time.

BTW French spelling is "officially" standardized, but grammar is only de facto. The Grevisse grammar is only standard by widespread acceptance.

Even if there are AFAIK much more English grammars, they basically all say the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X