Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one tell what processes should be riunning on one's computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one tell what processes should be riunning on one's computer?

When I go to Task Manager there are 70 some processes running. I suspect some are spy/bloatware. But surely some are not.

BTW, why isn't there some easy application to print or save lists in the task manager? Also an easy application that would google each process name?

Stretch TM, press AltGr+PrintScrn, start IrfanView and press ctrl+v
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Just google the suspicious processes. I ounce fond a worm that way.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Re: how does one tell what processes should be riunning on one's computer?

Originally posted by TCO
        BTW, why isn't there some easy application to print or save lists in the task manager?
        Get HijackThis.

Comment

That's why I don't go to task manager.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

how many buzillion people are working at Microsoft and they don't have a simple thing in the system to allow you to capture this info? I have to get other programs or do screen shots? Someone from Apple should teach Microsoft how to think about the user. Sheesh. It's not like this is 1993. There shouldn't be things that a dope like me can find that would be useful changes to the OS. I don't even know computers.

Comment

Press PrintScreen and paste into Microsoft Paint. You don't have to install anything else.

Comment

If you aren't careful TCO, you're going to find out that only about 20 of those processes are really necessary. Then you're screwed...

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Press PrintScreen and paste into Microsoft Paint. You don't have to install anything else.
                  I shouldn't have to do workarounds like that. THere are a million people like me with the same need. The system should already support it.

Also there should just be a menu command to organize all your favorites in IE alphabetically instead of having to do it manually. Netscape had this 12 years ago.

Comment

Average user isn't meant to be messing with services and processes.

Comment

bull****. youy totally need it now.

Comment

From Asher:

Who?

TCO

Location: 20-04-2008 13:15 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

I'm on Poly saying bad things about MS.

Oh....and have you ever read Silicon Snake Oil?

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 13:25 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

Cool, and no.

Resource Consumer
                        weddings, bar mitzvahs, anything

Location: Going down on Trinidad and Tobago 20-04-2008 13:26 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Have you ever used it?

Resource Consumer
                        weddings, bar mitzvahs, anything

Location: Going down on Trinidad and Tobago 20-04-2008 13:27 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Why would one say provocative things about MS?

TCO

Location: 20-04-2008 13:34 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

You should. Asher, read it, that is.

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 13:37 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

Link it for me big boy

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 13:44 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

Is it the one where you want to print a list of processes running on your computer?

That is immensely stupid, MS should revoke your Windows license.

You can't do that in OS X either BTW.

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 13:47 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

This is possible BTW, but not via the GUI. It's an obscure request for tech users, so the solution is for tech people.

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\TCO_SUCKS.txt PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will even provide the commandline parameters that launched it.

This will provide you with the processid/pid:

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\TCO_SUCKS2.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCO

Location: 20-04-2008 14:08 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

It's a normal thing for a user to want. also to save what was running as a file. also to initiate inquiries automatically. come to poply to discuss. and windows shiuld serve the user.

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 14:11 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

It is not normal, you are a freak.

TCO

Location: 20-04-2008 14:12 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

no...it's just that computer people r idiots. read snake oil. it was written by one oif you.

TCO

Location: 20-04-2008 14:17 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

The server is too busy at the moment. Priority access is given by the following order: ApolytonPLUS Members (no busy messages at all), Registered users (free, you can use the form below), Guests. Otherwise please try again in a few minutes. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Vincent
                        20-04-2008 14:17 This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Asher
                        mambar

Location: Birminghamshire, UK 20-04-2008 14:18 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

TCO, you are a freak. Anyone who wants to print a list of currently running processes to a piece of paper is a freak.

If it were up to me, Bill Gates would personally revoke your Windows license and ban you from the intarwabs.

Comment

ps
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I need to locate this resource consumer fellow. He stole my job occupation.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 25, 2011, 13:17.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X